New LCD Monitor--I have no clue

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
I just bought a new 19" LCD monitor (Hanns-G) to replace my 6 year old Gateway 19" CRT. I note that the picture is not nearly as sharp.

Is this simply the nature of the LCD picture? Is it because I bought the cheapest LCD monitor I could find?

I think it may have something to do with VGA and DVI. My computer does not have a hookup for DVI, so I am running VGA (I do not even know what this means, except I read somewhere that VGA is analog and DVI is digital).

The highest setting I can get with the new monitor is 32 bit color.

I will probably just get used to it (I really like the extra desk space). But does anyone have any suggestions? I am really clueless about this subject.

My computer is a one year old Dell.

Dell Dimension 3000 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB) WL308H
Memory FREE UPGRADE! 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz 512M4P
Keyboard and Mouse Bundles Dell Quietkey Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse
Monitors No Monitor

Video Card Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 IV

Hard Drive 40GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive 40
Floppy Drives and Additional Storage Devices No Floppy Drive Included NFD
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional WPXP
Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase NONE
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet IN
Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem DFAX
CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 48x CD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive CDCDR
Sound Card Integrated Audio IS
Speakers No Speaker Option N

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    No lcd will ever touch a good crt.

But in this case its probably because you cheeped out .. you should have goten a nice samsung or viewsonic.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    One thing you should check, vanagon40 is that you have your resolution set to the LCD's 'native' resolution. Some panels can begin to look very fuzzy when not in 'native' mode.

Most panels that size should have a 1280x1024 native resolution. Give that a shot and let us know.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2006
    Something to note is that CRT's view what is called "True Color". Its much more crisp and clear then a LCD. Our graphics department here at work uses 21in CRT's over LCD's because of that fact.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Run Microsoft's ClearType Tuner, too. :)
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited March 2006
    ClearType Tuner helped. I did set to 1280x1024, but that makes a lot of stuff awfully small for my old eyes.

I think the key is:

"Something to note is that CRT's view what is called "True Color". Its much more crisp and clear then a LCD."

and

"No lcd will ever touch a good crt."

I'm sure I will get used to it.

Thanks for the quick responses.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    You can always make your icons bigger on your desktop. As most LCD's recommend that you run them at native res. which for 90% of LCD's that are19” is 1280 x 1024...