Cooler for NV 9700GT

edited March 2006 in Hardware
The artic cooler X1 says it won't support most GT's. :nudge: Then it says a passive:-/ cooler will be available June 2006. Who wan'ts passive:halfcog:

So what cooler would you recocmend for the 7900 GT? Or is there's a way to make the X1 work? I appreciate your feedback.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I think Zalman has a new cooler out that might work for the 7900GT, also you could spring for that new PCI slot water cooler for graphics cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835116017

for the price I hear this bad boy is easy to setup and runs pretty well.
  • AtticusAtticus Dryden, Ontario, Canada.
    edited March 2006
    Could one of those PCI slot watercoolers be used to cool a CPU? Has anyone heard of someone doing this?
  • edited March 2006
    The thermaltake looks cool. But a reviewer said it doesn't cool the memory. For the 7900 series I think you have to cool the memory. I'd love to jump on this. Any ideas on how to get the thermaltake to work, or if copper heatsinks on the memory will suffice?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I agree with sledge on the zalman which is a better solution than arctic cooling ...just add ramsinks if you're concerned and you're in business.
  • edited March 2006
    any reccomendation on ramsinks?
    edited March 2006
    skankinred wrote:
    any reccomendation on ramsinks?

Sure ...try muddocktor through this thread. If that doesn't go through and you don't mind spending a bit I would recommend the new swiftech copper sinks. But beware they're pricey. Mudd's sinks are very inexpensive.
  • edited March 2006
    Would they both fit on the 7900GT? Seems like they would stick up too high for the Thermaltake to fit on the GT.
  • edited March 2006
    The Zalman 900 comes with ramsinks, 8 to be exact.
    edited March 2006
    madmat wrote:
    The Zalman 900 comes with ramsinks, 8 to be exact.
    Cool (no pun) ...had no ide@!
  • edited March 2006
    Yeah, I was just letting the OP know that since for the price (since it IS rather expensive) they don't have to worry about a double whammy of paying for more stuff.

I've seen the 900 in action and it's a very nice cooler.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Ram sinks and the water colling system should work great for cooling. if your case allows for a large 120mm quite fan run low ram to blow a little air on the over layout, it would be ideal.

As to will the Cooler work for a CPU... if you could create a custom mount for it I don't see why not.... as most CPU's from AMD will run cooler than a GPU in the first place.

If you do go ahead and mod your card make sure to show us what you did here....

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43542
    edited March 2006
    I read a review earlier in the wekk comparing the zalman to the accelero ...and well the accelero blows. Doesn't even cool as well as the arctic cooler according to the review.
  • edited March 2006
    What did you mean about the 120mm fan?

I will be posting my results in that topic for sure.