7800 GS potential

kep3_7kep3_7 Uk
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I posted here as a guest quite recently, but decided to register.

I have as 7800 GS and the stock speeds are 375/1200 and I oced to 500/1500 but cant go any further.

I got a 500Watt Q-tec Psu and I have the Card on its own rail not sharing with anything. All my over devices are on the other rails. The card is made by XFX so the cooling is pretty cool (lol) and when playing games at OCED speeds the temp is only 50 degrees on load.

How can I get more power to the core for higher speed?

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Aside from a hard-mod you can't get more power to the core. Aside from the core you need to consider the PCIe to AGP bridge chip, is it overheating? If the bridge chip, which is sharing the same cooler as the GPU, overheats it can lead to problems such as instability.

I haven't read this but I've deduced it from the design of the cooler and the limits the GS faces as far as GPU speeds are concerned. It would only stand to reason that the bridge chip (Which is another link in the chain of failure) will be as responsible as the actual GPU in terms of performance limitations due to it serving as the interface between the GPU and the PC.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2006
    kep3_7 wrote:
    I posted here as a guest quite recently, but decided to register.

I have as 7800 GS and the stock speeds are 375/1200 and I oced to 500/1500 but cant go any further.

I got a 500Watt Q-tec Psu and I have the Card on its own rail not sharing with anything. All my over devices are on the other rails. The card is made by XFX so the cooling is pretty cool (lol) and when playing games at OCED speeds the temp is only 50 degrees on load.

How can I get more power to the core for higher speed?

What OCing solution are you using? RivaTuner? Coolbits1 or 2?

Also, when you say you cant go over 500/1500 does that mean the hardcap is as 500/1500 or do you start artifacting after those speeds?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have read that 500Mhz is the cap for the 7***GS core, but I could be wrong
    edited April 2006
    I have read that 500Mhz is the cap for the 7***GS core, but I could be wrong

No, there is no cap. You have to physically short some parts of the card to get to 1.5 volts. The voltage controller for some reason is limiting voltage to something like 1.25 volts which keeps you from getting much of an OC. There is a link here on the forums here somewhere that was posted last week that shows you how to unlock the voltage and get your 7900 GT to 710 stable.

P.S. here is the link: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43857&highlight=7900GT

Also, here's a link to Shamino's post on how to unlock 1.55v using a conductive pen to get upwards of 650 -700 on the GPU.
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=66989
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Yeah but it is capped unless you do a mod to it .... When I say capped I mean you can't OC it any higher than 500Mhz out fo the box. people do some crazy things to their exspensive hardware these days... I just ask myself for what?
    edited April 2006
    Well, the hardcap is 591 if your trying to OC it without using the mod. However, if you can use a $10 conductive ink pen from Radio Shack to OC it up over the highest retail OC'd GTX then I'd say thats worth the $10.

I plan on making this mod and slapping on 2 Zalman Fatil1ty coolers on em. these cards idle very cool even at the 1.7v mod.