GA 7N400 Pro2 will not see SATA drive

edited April 2006 in Hardware
I had my I boot up so it checks for IDE devices then it used to display various settings like IRQ ports and then boot to my single SATA hdd.

I rebooted a few hours a go now it detects IDE devices and then the cursor just sits their flashing. The only way I can get it to even boot to floppy is to disable all RAID and SATA functionality in the BIOS.

I have reset the CMOS with the jumper, I have replaced the cable and tried my other SATA port with no luck. I do not have another SATA drive, or another system with SATA to test my HDD in. If I enable the SATA and unplug my drive it does the same. I have just flashed the BIOS and tried rolling to the back up BIOs but no luck.

Can anyone suggest how I can work out if I have a dead drive or a dead SATA controller on my motherboard?

I believe i have the GA 7N400 Pro2 rev 2 as i have the Si3512 controller and the CMOS reset jumber (if not i have updated the wrong bios :tongue: )

Thanks in advance, if you are thinking why is this an emergency, its becasue my uni assignment which i have spent 2 days working on is on the HDD and i need to hand it in tomorrow!

Rach

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2006
    I would say that it is not the HD if you have the same problem when you disconnect the drive. It sounds more like a problem with the MB. I don't know if a dead Controller would stop you booting from other devices or not. Don't really know what to suggest though. I would recomend finding somone with a SATA drive that you can test with. Maybe even a retailer will be able to help.