Wont boot?

fvsfvs
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Need Help, 'm working on a HP Pavilion 6830 desktop 700 Mhz Celeron, 64 MB RAM Can't get it to run beyond the HP splash, Can't get into Bios.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Hi fvs,

If it can not get into the BIOS, I'd suspect some type of a hardware problem.

The first thing I would try is to reset the CMOS. There is two ways to do this. 1) Remove the CMOS battery from the mainboard (required that the case cover be removed) and reinsert. 2) Use the 'clear cmos' jumper on the mainboard. There should be some instruction on how to do this in the owners manual if you have any doubt.

If this does not change anything, I'd inspect the mainboard and look for any leaking capacitors, failed fans etc.

Good luck :thumbup
  • fvsfvs
    edited March 2006
    Thanks Lemonlime, I decided to do a new build using Biostar Tforce 754 and AMD Sempron 64 2800 256, I hope it goes well, By the way I'm thinking of loading Linux Susse OS do you have any input to help?
    Thanks once more, fvs
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Hey fvs, I think you made a good choice moving away from that older system :D It's pretty old I'm afraid.

I don't have a whole lot of Unix/Linux experience, aside from server/enterprise applications, so I'm hoping that someone like drasnor or Grey Fox will stop by with some advice :)
  • fvsfvs
    edited March 2006
    Thanks lemonline.