Can you figure this out?

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hi - I'm pretty desperate here. I'm using a k8t master motherboard with dual processors. after using my computer as a guinea pig to test my friend's new 2.8 processors(he has the same board), my computer hasn't been the same.. sigh and it was so perfect b4 :( So it just reboots like whenever it feels like it, at the login screen, as soon as windows boots up, when i open my computer.. any time. However in safe mode it doesn't crash at all, which makes me think it's not the hardware? I had taken into to a computer shop and she spent hours on trying to figure out what was wrong.
Tried reinstalling windows, switching out ram, changing power supply, unplugging all pci cards, but the same results. I have some identical processors that i'm going to try and an identical MB but my moron of a friend shipped it in a soft envelope and pieces of the ram slots broke off so i'm not expecting too much out of that. if anyone has any ideas that i could use to get this thing back up to snuff i'd GREATLY APPRECIATE IT and if you just have some thoughts i appreciate that too! :Rocker:

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited March 2006
    did you clear the CMOS? Might have to take the battery out and leave it sit for a while with the jumpers in short mode. Put the jumpers back and put the battery back in, try that.
  • edited March 2006
    gtghm wrote:
    did you clear the CMOS? Might have to take the battery out and leave it sit for a while with the jumpers in short mode. Put the jumpers back and put the battery back in, try that.

Yup, I did that - left out for a whole night.. it seemed to behave for a while then when I went to my computer it crashed again. :bawling:
    My next approach would be to flash the BIOS, though it seems like this isn't the problem since safe mode runs fine with no crashes. isn't this an indication that it is a software driver issue?
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited March 2006
    possable that someting is grounding out on the case?
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited March 2006
    Might be a low voltage setting on the BIOS for either the CPU of the RAM.
  • edited March 2006
    It works fine in safe mode.. so what does this mean? It must be a driver issue right? But if i install windows fresh and it still happens what does this mean? i've flashed the bios it doesn't help.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Are you sure they did a reformat and a reinstall, not just a repair install at the shop you took it to?
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited March 2006
    If you don't have the voltages boosted high enough on your Ram or your CPU in the BIOS, that could cause the reboot.

The rebooting could be caused by many different things including a Video Card that is not compatible with the MB.

Ram timings or CPU timings could also cause this.

Windows in safe mode is not CPU/RAM/Video intensive so that would be the reason that you don't have any problems while in safemode.

Yes it could be a driver issue, eg. a bad video driver.

The best way to figure it out is to remove all the componets from the system except for the CPU/RAM/Video/Hard Drive then try and boot into the OS. If you have a problem then I would try a complete reformat and reinstall of the OS and MB drivers with only the bare bones system componets installed eg. CPU/RAM/Video/Hard Drive and a CD Rom to load up the OS. Get it stable from there and then add in one by one your other cards and stuff...

Just a thought,
    "g"
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited March 2006
    Another possibility is that you might have inadvertiantly damaged one of the CPUs during the swapp with your friend. It doesn't take much. A slip of the screwdriver is all it takes...

"g"
  • edited April 2006
    thanks for your input guys.. the OS was definately reinstalled, i did it myself and it was done at the store again. keep in mind this thing did work flawlessly before this processor switch, so im kinda thinking that may be the prob. Basically your bare-bones proposition was done already and it seemed to work but then it started happening again. i think the next step is to try swapping out the processors. thanks for your help.
  • edited April 2006
    see if this helps - i disabled automatic restart on system error and the blue screen of death showed up with an error in win32k.sys which clearly sounds like a windows error, but with a fresh install... it doesn't make sense
  • edited April 2006
    one more thing - now it crashes while in safe mode :( I'm going to bed.
  • edited April 2006
    So i switched out one of the processors and it's not crashing now! i'm pretty happy about that.. but something weird, neither of my CD drives are being recognized. I'm getting this error message in device manager: -

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Any ideas why this would happen?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Are all the IDE Channels enabled and set properly? If there is a CDROM setting, go for that. If not, try AUTO. :)