graphics drivers

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited March 2006 in Science & Tech
I always just install new Nvidia graphics drivers over the old ones. I read that you should first go to add remove programs, look for nvidia drivers, and remove them there. Well I tried that one time and I ended up losing my internet connection. I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum MB. Why would this have anything to do with my internet connection? Thank God for system restore, that was the only way I got back on line. I really want to do the drivers the right way but now I am scared to remove them in the add remove programs. Can anyone help in showing me the right way?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    You probably uninstalled your nvidia chipset drivers, not your graphics drivers. The nvidia chipset includes the onboard lan controller, thus losing your internet connection (technically, you didn't lose your internet connection, you lost your LAN connection to your router). The graphics driver is seperate from the nForce chipset driver.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited March 2006
    Thank you Prime for that information. Now that I know what I did, is there a way to just uninstall the graphics drivers through add remove programs?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Someone else will have to take that question, I haven't owned an nvidia card in years :p
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2006
    The best way to get rid of Nvidia drivers is to use DriverCleaner3 and get rid of all drivers labled Nv4.dsp

Those are your display drivers themselves. I've used driver cleaner for a long time and it works great. Its also a good practice to boot into SAFE MODE to get rid of drivers also, as some files that are used during live mode arn't used in safe mode and can be deleted easier.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited March 2006
    Thanks jradmin, I found Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5. Is that the one you are talking anout?
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2006
    Ya. thats the same thing. They only have the pro version available anymore. Make sure you go over the Readme file well before you use this.