Gateway ESX-500S - rambus?

CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
I'm having a weird issue here, I was working on someone's PC and I'm looking to upgrade the ram on it, but I can't seem to find a reference to this model anywhere.

The model on the back says "ESX-500S" I can however find reference to a "500S" model. My problem is, I need to order some ram for it and it's a Pentium 4 2.0ghz machine with 256mb of ram.

I am not familiary at all with Rambus and I was unsure if this machine uses standard DDR or RAMBUS memory. Anybody know if there's a certain range of speed for P4 machines that would've utilized rambus, I just don't want to order some DDR and then realize it's the wrong thing, I should've cracked open the case while I was there but I didn't think of it at the time and it's a pretty decent distance.

Anybody who's a rambus expert your opinion is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    I don't know, i didn't think Intell made a "2.0"Ghz processor with an 800mhz fsb. But if so than it could be rambus! I believe than with RAMBUS you have to have all sockets full so that you can mantin continuity thoughout the sockets. If you can i'd get a peak inside the case!
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Yeah, i wish I had opened it up. I think this is more the fault of Gateway's terrible naming scheme, but after having to google image search to make sure it was the same system, apparently the "ESX-500S" falls under the "500 Series", and the ESX means nothing, so I'm fairly confident it's a DDR system being that Crucial's memory searching thing shows the 500 Series as having 256mb DDR intalled