Help!

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hi, I'm not sure if I shoould post here or in spyware...?
Anyway, my dad wanted to set up his computer again, which runs on windows 2000. He said that everytime he was on the internet the computer just kept freezing or disconnecting, so I set up his internet again, and ran ad-aware, spyware blaster, spybot, and microsoft anti-spyware from a disc on my computer. Ad-aware found 1071 entries alone!! Along with various others, like newdotnet, and some cws, which the programs deleted. However, when you try to connect to the internet, although it says you are actually connected, a box comes up with "explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL", as well as another box which says "spool32 has caused an error on SPOOL32.EXE". You cannot bring any web pages up at all. What do you think? When my computer completely died last year, they took it back to the factory defaults, completely wiped it clean, although I lost everything on it, but it worked! Can you do this on Windows 2000? He doesn't mind if everything got lost, coz there is nothing on it of any importance, he just would like it to work again! Can you help?
Thank-you!

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Theres a number of things you can try to do here. Firstly, i would do a system restore, to a earlier time when all was working fine.

Im not sure if win 2k has this folder or not.. but try searching for it. Its hidden in windows. The folder is called 'APPLOG' rename this to APPLOG2 or similar. Reboot then try loading pages again.

do a repair of internet explorer. go to add/remove programs, highlight and remove IE, and choose remove. Then repair. Reboot once again, and try loading pages.

Please post back if neither of these fixes work, and then im afraid yes it could be time for a reformat, and reinst of windows. The fixes ive shown you here are the easier ways of trying to sort it out, without all the hassle of formatting etc..

Hope this helps
    Be safe Nige
    Comptiia A+ Tech
  • edited April 2006
    Hi,
    Thanks for your advice. I tried all three things you suggested, and I had no luck. I did download the Firefox setup on my computer though, and put it onto a disc, then transferred this to my dad's computer, which solved the problem. Now at least the web pages come up. It also means I can update all the anti virus software etc, and have now posted a hjt log in the spyware forum under paul55, so I am just waiting on one of the guys over there to take a look.
    Many thanks for taking the time to help.
  • edited April 2006
    Glad to hear, youve finally managed to get the pages loading, and working fine.. sorry to hear the fixes never worked though :(, still with the firefox installation, its something i never thought of, and i can add it to my collection of fixes. :)

Thanks for getting back, and good luck with getting the hj log sorted.

Take care for now
    be safe
    Nige
    Comptiia A+ Tech