Asus A8N-SLI Boot issue when connecting HDD

edited March 2006 in Hardware
I just finished installing the new motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI with AMD X2 3800 CPU. All is good as long as I don't connect the HDD. Without the HDD I can get into the BIOS and it detects my secondary DVD drives just fine.
Once I connect the HDD thru the primary IDE the system tries to start and shutsdown immediate without even getting to the BIOS.

HELP

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Is the hard drive jumpered correctly?
    How strong is your power supply?
  • edited March 2006
    Yes. I have it set to Master and have a 550W power supply. I since then tried booting up with the HDD on Secondary IDE and clearing the CMOS as well. At this point the only conclusion I can come to is that I have a bad mother board with possible a bad disk controller. Is there a way to proove that?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    It sounds like it could be a power issue. When booting without the HDD, look in the diagnostic area of the BIOS, and look at the current voltages. If you're not sure what they should be, write them down, and report them to us here.

If that doesn't turn anything up, then it could be a bad controller, but it could also be a shorted HDD, or something, so you would need to do some eliminative trouble shooting:

Try the HDD on a different mobo that is known to be working, then try a known to be working HDD on this mobo, then at least you'll know if the problem lay in the HDD or in the mobo (or both).

First, however, check those voltage levels...
  • edited March 2006
    The only voltages I can find in the BIOS ar under the Hardware Monitor Section:
    VCore Voltage 1.36V
    3.3 Voltage 3.23V
    5.0 Voltage 4.83V
    12V Voltage 11.9V

Power supply is an ANTEC Neo HE 550

The first ANTEC Neo HE 550 I had was DOA and had to return it as it didn't start at all. This is the second one.

The HDD works great in another computer.
  • edited March 2006
    I should mention since we are talking about power. I also have a ATI AIW X1800XL connected to the power supply.
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks man. I got a new power supply. A different one this time I got tired of exchanging the Antec one.

Now I'm running fine :clap:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Glad you got it working. :)