Need some help here!

NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I am looking at getting a 256mb 9800 or an Nvidia 256mb 5900 ultra.

Cheapest I have seen a 256mb 5900 Ultra is £387.63 which is $644.237
And the 256mb 9800 is £421.52 which is an incredible $700.605

I know, we get shafted on the prices over here. Anyone know of a way to get hold of them cheaper in the UK. And you guys complain about paying $500 for a video card ;) .

Which would you guys go for? And give reasons.

Comments

• Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Well if you look at the newsest benches of the 2 cards together, I beleive its the 5900ultra that wins out in all categories. However some beleive that the 9800pro still has superior image quality still. If you're looking for a card right now that can play Doom III the fastest go with the 5900Ultra. The 9800pro 256mb also has almost the same scores as the 9800pro 128mb version, and it costs $100 more.

I personnaly would hold out this new generation and wait for r400 and nv40 which are due out this fall. Same time as DoomIII and Half-Life 2 are due out.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for that, problem is I have been holding out for to long now. My Geforce 420MX can't handle the games I want to play at the resolution I want.

I was going to get the 128MB 9800 but after Shorty showed me the light :respect: on a few of the items I was going to buy and saved me about £200, I descided to invest it in my video card.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Would it be cheaper if someone bought the card for you in the US and shipped it to you? I wonder if US cards can do PAL TV-out?
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited June 2003
    In a stand-off between both the FX 5900 and the Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB, your going to want to choose the 9800. A 256 MB framebuffer is overkill for today's games, but will help in the future (think Doom 3). As well, the Radeon 9800 may be slightly more expensive than the FX 5900, but for sharper image quality and the advanced Anti-Aliasing performance, there is no doubt in my mind you would be happy with the Radeon 9800. :)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Gargoyle said
    Would it be cheaper if someone bought the card for you in the US and shipped it to you? I wonder if US cards can do PAL TV-out?

I was thinking about this, but the UK tax man would hit me as soon as the card came into the country, unless someone knows otherwise :D
  • Jolyon33Jolyon33 Kalamazoo, MI
    edited June 2003
    Well, thats if you declare it as computer equipment, as opposed to Grandma's sugar cookies. :birthday:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    the fx whollops the 9800 in almost every test... even ones when the AA is turned all the way up... needless to say im dissapointed, lets hope ATI's new card will kick sum ass
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2003
    why be dissapointed? healthy competition is good for the consumer :-D
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    but too healthy of a competition will lead to another microsoft