Dual boot ME & XP, will not boot ME

edited March 2006 in Hardware
On my server, I have a dual boot sysyem with ME (E:) & XPSP2 (L:) each on their own partition. My C: Drive is my booting partiton the first partition on my harddrive 0. Adll partitions are FAT32
The system worked until recentally and booted fine into either using the XP boot loader. Due to my own error the machine no longer boots into ME. IT does boot into XP. Any attempt to boot into ME results in a totally blank screen without a prompt.
The Windows ME folder on E: is undamaged. It seems the boot loader can not find ithe Windows ME folder.
All original boot files on C: seem to be in tact. (io.sys, msdos.sys,ntldr, autoexec.bat, boot.ini, config.sys etc....) Actually they are a working backup copy.
My mistake was, that I accidentally formated the C: partition and restarted the computer. I then copied the backup system boot files back to the C: partition.

What have I done ? Did I destroy the MBR ?
HOW do I fix this to get the boot loader to boot win ME and XP again ?
I am hoping not to have to reinstall the operating systems.
Drive C: should be the active partition ?? correct ?? ( It currentally is)
I have backups of everything, bootdisks etc.
Is their a way to boot directly into ME with a floppy ?
My problem is I do not understand what is the order of events when ME boots normally.
I tried a "bootcfg" from the XP recovery console and that made things worse by finding and trying to boot my backup windows folders
On drive (I:). "Bootcfg" did not find the ME windows folder. So I went back to what I had previously.

One person suggest to: http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy32.htm
1: boot with ME startup disk
2: run Fdisk /MBR
3: Sys C:
This gets ME only to boot.
4. Insert XP CD and go to recovery console
5. run fixboot
This is soposed to make it dual bootable again. I have not tried it.

I am unsure what to do. Need help soon PLEASE !

Please reply ASAP MRGCAV@hotmail.com