Asrock K8Upgrade-VM800 Help

edited April 2006 in Hardware
How to disable the onboard video in the Asrock K8Upgrade-VM800. I have a ATI RADEON 9600XT All In Wonder Graphics card that just woun't work, I believe is something in BIOS, but what???
I disabled it from device manager, restarted & switched over to the agp card, but no display, but I get a display when connected to onboard video.
So I disabled a S3 overlay display 'thingy', and i see xp loading but black screen when I supposed to see welcome screen.
I went to BIOS & saw that primary display is set to agp, but the card doesn't work. I also tried a geforce fx5200 on the agp slot........but it don't work.
So i had to settle for a geforce 4 mx440 PCI card. When booting i usually see the POST & then XP loading but now the monitor only comes on when the welcome screen appears & I can't boot into the BIOS

I have some serious problems PLEASE HELP!
This is a friends system, it's no longer in my posession but he is using my old geforce 4 card.
The agp slot is 1.5v & had a warning sign to don't connect 3.3v cards, but I don't know what is the card's voltage
I have upgraded graphics cards many times b4 but never on a ASROCK

HELP HELP HELP

Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited March 2006
    As far as I know, all modern boards that have integrated graphics automatically disable the onboard stuff when you plug a video card into the AGP slot. I'm thinking that maybe that Asrock board has a dead AGP slot. Have you tried booting up with your monitor still plugged into the onboard vga port with the PCI vid card also installed? I'm betting that the onboard is still active with the PCI vid card installed and the PCI vid card is being detected as a secondary display adapter, which is why you aren't seeing anything until you are well into the boot process.

As for the AGP cards you are trying to use, they are both 1.5v AGP cards, so you haven't fried anything with the vid card itself. The 3.3v vid cards are like really old school now and any modern AGP card will be a 1.5v model unless you are buying some really cheapo vid card that is using like a mobile video chip (Newegg had some like that around 6 months to a year ago). Have you tried booting with the AGP card installed, but the monitor still plugged into the onboard VGA port? If it is still giving a signal on the onboard VGA with an AGP card installed, that's telling me there is something wrong with the mobo. I looked at the manual for that mobo and there is nothing in there, either in bios or by use of a jumper, to switch to an AGP video card instead of the onboard graphics, so if it's not switching over automatically there has to be something wrong with the mobo.
  • edited April 2006
    Thank U so much 4 quick reply!!! Yes, when i had the monitor on agp (ATI) and then switched to onboard........U guessed it.....it shows. Now i disabled some S3 overlay "thingy" & the PCI card works but i can't see anything if i boot to BIOS or safemode. Windows works great though. So what to do??
  • edited April 2006
    Are you sure the AGP video card was fully seating into the slot when you were trying it? I would try the AGP card(s) again one more time, making sure that the little white clip on the back isn't interfering with the card seating fully into the AGP slot. If that still doesn't work, then I would think that the mobo is defective and you will have to RMA it back to Asrock for a fully working mobo. From your last post, the mobo isn't sensing the AGP card being installed and switching to use the AGP slot.

EDIT: Looking at a picture of the mobo on Newegg, it looks like that mobo uses the same AGP locking clip that my Dual Sata2 board uses, which slides back and forth instead of pivoting up and down like most of the locking clips on most AGP slots. Make sure the white clip is slid all the way back on the AGP slot before trying to seat the video card.
  • edited April 2006
    Yep, the 2 cards I tried were fully seated I locked in place. I realized that the MB is not recognizing the card at all not even the FX5200. Stupid me, I didn't try the ATI in my machine (BIOSTAR M7VIZ 8.0X). Anyways at least windows is working.

Thanks a million for the info!!!!!
  • edited April 2006
    Actually, the ATI fit without having the white strip pushed back(It was already fully pushed back), but it was perfectly seated, no gold terminals showing at all. Does the strip have to be pushed back for proper operation?
  • edited April 2006
    No, it's just there to lock the card in so that it doesn't slip out partially if you are moving your computer around. The first AGP boards that came out didn't have a locking mechanism and it wasn't unusual for the card to work itself partailly out of the AGP slot when being moved around.

If you buddy doesn't want to wait while the mobo is being RMA'ed, I would recommend maybe trying out the K8 upgrade board that is using the NF3-250Gb chipset, since he has a separate video card now. The NF3 chipset is much superior to the Via chipset anyways and the board is only around $2 more than his present mobo. That is if it will fit his case, since it's a regular sized ATX board and not mATX.
  • edited April 2006
    Actually he got it as a gift from canada and we live in Trinidad, so I think it's time to change the MB! Thanks again!
  • edited April 2006
    No problem, groovemaster1. :)