What is XP Media Center?

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited April 2006 in Science & Tech
Quick question about another subject for which I am clueless.

What is XP Media Center, and how does it differ from XP Home and XP Pro?

Also, what is the difference between "Genuine Windows" and "Microsoft Windows?"

Specifically, I'm looking for a computer for my 70 year old mother who is used to XP Home (so a non-windows operating system is NOT an option).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited April 2006
    Windows XP media centre edition (to give it it's full title) is basically windows XP with a new front end for media player. This front end is designed to make media player easier to use on non-standard PC displays (ie: a widescreen TV) and adds some cool new functionality if your hardware supports it. For example if you have a compatible TV tuner card in your PC you can use it for PVR functions like time-shifting live TV. Technically Media centre edition isn't available to end users like you and me, only OEM manufacturers and system builders are supposed to buy it because microsoft doesn't want anyone running into hardware incompatabilities with it's 'convergence' orientated operating system but most resellers will sell you a copy of Media centre edition as long as you buy it with a piece of hardware (which can be something like a mouse).

Basically, if you're not going to use your PC as a media storage / playback device then media centre edition offers nothing over and above what stadard XP will give you.
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited April 2006
    Thanks for the explanation.