Logitech MX1000 Faulty - Support Case Study

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I thought Id start this thread for interest from others :)

I have a 18month (or so) old first generation MX1000 mouse. For the last year or so, It's been slightly erractic in usage. I have followed the guides provided by Logitech on their website to potentially correct the behavior, none of which work and it's getting worse as time goes on.

Guess it's time to get a warranty replacement/repair :)

I don't have the sales receipt or box anymore (it is 18 months old after all!) and I live about 350 miles from the original place of purchase. How am I going to get it replaced...?

So I have sent Logitech an email asking for help. I know their USA support & reputation is literally untouchable but I've never heard anything about Euro/UK support. So it's time for us to find out I guess! :)

Il keep this thread updated as I hear from Logitech......

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Logitech's US support is pretty good, I'll say that much. I hope their UK counterparts come through for you :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Update
    Dear Mr. Pass,

Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Technical Support.

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with the MX1000 Laser cordless mouse. You have mentioned that the mouse is acting erratic.

I would like to inform you that any electrical device, such as the computer monitor, Zip drives, speakers, etc., can cause interference with Logitech cordless products. Most likely, this will affect tracking of pointing devices or the range of the device. Also, using Logitech cordless devices on a metal desk or a desk with a metal frame can cause problems with pointing device behavior and range. To resolve these types of issues, try moving the receiver at least 8 inches away from other electrical devices. Interference issues can also be resolved by moving the mouse closer to the receiver. You may also want to experiment with different locations and positions for the receiver, including moving the receiver to an upright/vertical position or rotated to a different angle. Another alternate solution is to elevate the receiver by placing it on a CD ROM case or other item.

Please make sure that the device is connected directly to your system and not through a pass-through device like a USB hub or a port-replicator. If the device is connected directly to your system, then this issue may appear if the device is not detected properly. If your device is supported on both USB and PS/2 ports, please try switching between these ports to determine if this is a port specific issue.

If the issue persists, please remove any traces of the Logitech software on your computer and then install the latest version of the software on your system as given below.

1. Remove the Logitech software.

a. Open the Windows Control Panel.
    b. Open the Add / Remove Programs Window.
    c. Locate the listing for Logitech SetPoint and remove it.
    d. Delete the folder (if present)

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Logitech\SetPoint

2. Prepare the system for Logitech software installation.

a. Download the latest version of software for your device from the following URL:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/GB/EN,CRID=1792,contentid=9409

b. Please perform a clean boot on your system. When you boot clean, you can temporarily eliminate unnecessary programs from running in memory. This can isolate a software conflict that may cause problems with the functioning of your Logitech product. We have outlined the process for your convenience at the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

3. Please ensure that you have disabled any firewall or anti-virus software on your computer.

4. Install the Logitech software:

a. Double-Click the icon for the SetPoint download file.
    b. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.

5. Return Windows to its normal state

a. Please restart your system.
    b. You can now enable the firewall or anti-virus software.

If the issue persists, then the receiver of the mouse could be experiencing a hardware issue. Please test the mouse on another system. If the issue persists on the other system, then the receiver could be defective. Please write back to me with the complete shipping address and I will be glad to replace the defective receiver.

If you have any additional questions regarding your product, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.logitech.com

Kind Regards,

Anees Ur Rahman
    Logitech Europe SA
    European Customer SupportDear Mr. Pass,

Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Technical Support.

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with the MX1000 Laser cordless mouse. You have mentioned that the mouse is acting erratic.

I would like to inform you that any electrical device, such as the computer monitor, Zip drives, speakers, etc., can cause interference with Logitech cordless products. Most likely, this will affect tracking of pointing devices or the range of the device. Also, using Logitech cordless devices on a metal desk or a desk with a metal frame can cause problems with pointing device behavior and range. To resolve these types of issues, try moving the receiver at least 8 inches away from other electrical devices. Interference issues can also be resolved by moving the mouse closer to the receiver. You may also want to experiment with different locations and positions for the receiver, including moving the receiver to an upright/vertical position or rotated to a different angle. Another alternate solution is to elevate the receiver by placing it on a CD ROM case or other item.

Please make sure that the device is connected directly to your system and not through a pass-through device like a USB hub or a port-replicator. If the device is connected directly to your system, then this issue may appear if the device is not detected properly. If your device is supported on both USB and PS/2 ports, please try switching between these ports to determine if this is a port specific issue.

If the issue persists, please remove any traces of the Logitech software on your computer and then install the latest version of the software on your system as given below.

1. Remove the Logitech software.

a. Open the Windows Control Panel.
    b. Open the Add / Remove Programs Window.
    c. Locate the listing for Logitech SetPoint and remove it.
    d. Delete the folder (if present)

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Logitech\SetPoint

2. Prepare the system for Logitech software installation.

a. Download the latest version of software for your device from the following URL:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/GB/EN,CRID=1792,contentid=9409

b. Please perform a clean boot on your system. When you boot clean, you can temporarily eliminate unnecessary programs from running in memory. This can isolate a software conflict that may cause problems with the functioning of your Logitech product. We have outlined the process for your convenience at the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

3. Please ensure that you have disabled any firewall or anti-virus software on your computer.

4. Install the Logitech software:

a. Double-Click the icon for the SetPoint download file.
    b. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.

5. Return Windows to its normal state

a. Please restart your system.
    b. You can now enable the firewall or anti-virus software.

If the issue persists, then the receiver of the mouse could be experiencing a hardware issue. Please test the mouse on another system. If the issue persists on the other system, then the receiver could be defective. Please write back to me with the complete shipping address and I will be glad to replace the defective receiver.

If you have any additional questions regarding your product, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.logitech.com

Kind Regards,

Anees Ur Rahman
    Logitech Europe SA
    European Customer Support

Quite a standard email but it's clear, concise & helpful :)

Most of the information in that reply is not on the logitech website and it certainly appears that thought has gone into it. A good response :)

Will update again :)