Help please!!!

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hi Guys,
first time posting here but have consulted your forum before...
I've just got a new pc from Dell, a Dimension 3100 not too bril i know, but i'd planned to upgrade it, got it last tuesday all was fine started to install some of my usual programs onto it like my dvd player software, teamspeak, SWG, that sort of stuff but when i went to start it up yesterday morning it didn't boot up.
the fans started whiring and the light came on orrange at the front of the box but nothing further, the screen didn't come on and there was no POST beeps... none at all to indicate an error, it's like it's not even getting that far...
the only thing i installed which may cause pause for attention is TSO or Teamspeakoverlay (www.Teamspeakoverlay.com) which is a beta version, but i find it hard to believe that a piece of software which runs fine on this 6 year old comp could do this...

any idea's?
this is really quite frustrating as you can probably imagine. unfortunately i know you're going to ask for specs for the machine but i don't know many and obviously i can't get into it to try and find any

any idea's would be appriciated though :doh:

Thanks

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Honestly, if you just got the computer less than a week ago I would suggest you go straight to Dell and at least get it on the record with them that you are having this problem. That way you'll be covered (somewhat) should this turn into an on-again-off-again type of situation.

The next step would be to try getting into Safe Mode by tapping F8 as soon as you turn the computer on. If that doesn't help, check in the manual for the location of the CMOS jumper and try re-setting the BIOS according to Dell's instructions.

Let us know how all of that goes. :)
  • edited April 2006
    ok, really n00b question, but i just don't want to f*ck this up...
    Can you reset the bios without needing the windows XP CD? just cause dell don't seem to think you need one...
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited April 2006
    I'd talk to dell and see what voids the warranty on your pc! If you open up the case for anything...to reset bios or install an expansion card, it could void the warranty.
    edited April 2006
    I would try the Safe Mode attempt first. It'll only take you a few minutes to find out if that makes a difference.

A BIOS reset just changes all of the settings back to their factory defaults. You won't need a CD for that.

Step One: First go into the BIOS and take note of all the settings there - before you do the reset. The only reason I'm suggesting a BIOS reset at all is that it can sometimes shake the computer out of it's doldrums to discover a hardware settings change. You do want to be able to reset things properly after you're done, so knowing what the settings were before is important.

Since you've only had the computer for a few days, it shouldn't be a big deal to run the Dell recovery utility. You'll have to reinstall all the stuff you've added since Tuesday, but that's nowhere near the hardship it would be had you been running the computer for months or years.
    edited April 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    I'd talk to dell and see what voids the warranty on your pc! If you open up the case for anything...to reset bios or install an expansion card, it could void the warranty.
    I am a slow typist, so I didn't see that before my last post. It is great advice, though. Get on the phone with Dell and cover your bases with them before doing anything else.
  • edited April 2006
    will contact dell then, however with regards to looking in the bios... it doesn't get to that stage, it doesn't even start powering up the screen, all peripherals are non-functional and there are no POST beeps (usually atleast 1 to signify that all's ok) which makes me think it's not even getting to that stage where it can report an error.
    will call dell and find out what i can do within warranty and i've got a friend who's getting back home tomorrow who's a tech and will get him to look at it

Thanks for the suggestions
  • edited April 2006
    managed to resolve the issue... it was being caused by a fault pci modem (Which was supplied with the pc) have now returned the pc and just got my money back, decided to build my own cause i've been gifted a load of equipment from a friend he he.

thanks for your help will hopefully not need to get more help in the future though he he.