Replacement Fans for Toshiba Satellite?

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I've a Toshiba Satellite A70 with a severe overheating issue and I intend to dismantle it in order to remove and clean the heatsink (apparently this is the only way to resolve it). While I'm at it, I'm thinking I may as well replace the fans as they've recently begun to make a rather obnoxious and nerve-wracking grinding noise.

The trouble is twofold here: firstly, this is the first time I've ever engaged in a project of this magnitude and I have no idea as to where to obtain replacement fans. Secondly: as I've never done a full dismantle (only really installed a RAM upgrade), I could really use a primer on the how-tos of notebook repair.

Any guidance?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    One of this forum's very own members has a great thread on disassembling a variety of laptops. He even has his own website dedicated to disassembling Toshiba laptops, and you can find your model HERE.

Judging by the pictures found here of the fans, it seems they're proprietary slot-blowers. You may, however, be able to clean them and oil them back up into working condition.
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks, Thrax. That will be a huge help. Wish me luck, I should be getting started on it this week. I'll keep you posted.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Instead of finding replacement fans for my wife's Dell Inspiron 600, I disassembled the fan completely and re-oiled it with electric motor 3-in-1 oil, and now they run perfectly silent.
  • edited October 2006
    In trying to determine and correct my A15-S127 overheating problem, I unintentionally and unknowingly broke the power connector on the mother board. I broke and ripped out the pins and connector on the mother board itself when I attempted to disconnect the connector on the cable side from the connector on the mother board. :doh:

I would greatly appreciate advice/help that anyone could provide on what part number connector I would need to repair this and how I would go about repairing it (including precautions for other blunders... as I feel pretty stupid at the moment and feel I would stumble into any possible catastrophes that exist in this repair right now).

Thanks.

Soling Sailor
  • edited October 2006
    In trying to determine and correct my A15-S127 overheating problem, I unintentionally and unknowingly broke the power connector on the mother board. I broke and ripped out the pins and connector on the mother board itself when I attempted to disconnect the connector on the cable side from the connector on the mother board. :doh:

I would greatly appreciate advice/help that anyone could provide on what part number connector I would need to repair this and how I would go about repairing it (including precautions for other blunders... as I feel pretty stupid at the moment and feel I would stumble into any possible catastrophes that exist in this repair right now).

Thanks.

Soling Sailor

The guy who runs/owns this site works on allot of Toshiba's...
    http://irisvista.com/tech/index.htm