DSL Modem that works with Dyndns

BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Science & Tech
Hi all,

I'm looking for a DSL Modem that will work with dyndns.org. Personally, I like comcast. That with my d-link cable modem and wireless router rocks. The person I'm helping out only has access to DSL and the modem/wireless router is a cheap piece of garbage. Can any of you make some recommendations? I need a DSL Modem and Wireless G router. They can be seperate or combo. The lines coming into the current modem are RJ-11 and it looks like theres and in and an out RJ-11. (In other words, both RJ-11 are being used.) I need DHCP and Port forwarding so that either I or someone else can access the computers remotely with windows RDC or VNC. They're using Qwest (uck) as the DSL provider.

As always, I'm grateful for the suggestions this forum provides.

BLu

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    The current modem may be a piece of garbage, but it doesn't matter. It's the router that matters; the factory-default WRT54G from Linksys has DynDNS support.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I tried to go in that direction... the ActionTec (ActionTehSuc) modem/wifi is a combo. I've tried to unlock its mysteries, but it takes the IP and doesn't pass through to the router of my choice even if I disable the DHCP and Wifi on that router. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Are you serving your HTTP on port 80? Most ISPs have that locked down.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I'll be using the port mapper in the router to so I can access RDC (2289 I think) internally. However, I'll be openning up ports in the 5000 range. This way I can RDC into any of the computers in the network. I may do this with VNC instead, but I don't know yet. Key thing is that I need to be able to assign static IP internally (easy), set up port mapping (once again, simple), but I need to have access to the network via a static name. The IP isn't static, but if I use Dyndns, it'll keep that up to date so I can access company.dyndns.org:port.

Oh the joys of DSL.