long Post Sorry Please Help! need help with ASUS A7N8X-LA Motherboard

edited January 2008 in Hardware
My brother recently gave 2 x 512 memory modules, I thought as I had to disconnect it all got put them in I might as well spring clean my HP pavillion a235.uk pc. I took the power supplt apart and cleaned as normal, cleaned the cpu fan and heat sink possible cause to start of problems as heat sink not stuck on cpu but held on with a clip. gave the whole thing a thorough good blast of air job done, everytime i've done this all has been well until now.

I turned it on and nothing it was just hanging either at safemode or Hp Invent screen, my brother told me to take the memory out and refit the old memory which I did, but the problem was the same, trying to get hold of HP is nothing short of a joke and after spending 15 minutes on the phone at 60p a minute just to be told an engineer would call today of which they didn't. I had another go at trying to fix it myself. My brother told me to clear the cmos which I did all properly done, still same problem, I took the heat sink off turned it round and clicked it down with the clip, made sure all everything was plugged in and seated properly.

connected it all back up and hey! it worked at boot up it just said cmos setup wrong & time and date not set not a problem reset the pc went into the bios and changed time and date. switched pc back on I went to put my modem back on but it wouldn't work spoke with a broadband engineer all was fine with the modem he said my IP address had been changed. I backed up all that needed to be and formatted the pc went to use my HP recovery discs and it says these recovery cd's do not support this HP machine. I also noticed when disconnecting the power supply I get the cmos setup wrong and time and date not set. I tried a little experiment and set a bios password with the power supplt connected alls ok just says the same about the discs, but when I disconnected the power supply and booted up and went into the bios it never asked for my password, it's like it's all being reset, i took the battery out before to clean so thought i might of put it back wrong so turned it round but same prob. I'm totally lost and it has ruined my 40th birthday seriously it did as all I kept looking was the pc as I'm on benefit and disabled I rely heavily on my pc and the internet. I would really appreciate any advise on how to correct the problem, could it be the jumpers their at 1 and 2 like they should be.

All The best

Alan

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Sounds like the CMOS reset jumper is still in the reset position. Double-check your pins to make sure that they are in the right place for normal operation, then check back with us.

Also, your recovery disks will only work with the model of computer that they were shipped with, meaning that if you have any other hardware attached or installed in the system (the biggest issue would be with a network card or video card, or something, but even just a USB printerwould count) it may detect those and determine that it's not the right system. If you want to use the restore disks, make sure that every piece of hardware is where it originally was, and nothing is plugged in other than the KB, Mouse, and speakers.
  • edited April 2006
    All the jumpers are set correctly at 1 and 2, although the mem installed is different, and there is a second hard drive, but cmos is still reading the same I'll try putting the original memory back and disconnecting the 2nd hard drive. fingers crossed, still can't work out why the cmos setting will not stay, keeps resetting itself.

Cheers

Alan
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    ... still can't work out why the cmos setting will not stay, keeps resetting itself.
    Which way is the battery in? The solid part should be "up" with the side having two distinct concentric sections being "down". :)
  • edited April 2006
    The battery stands up and not flat but have flipped it both ways and still same message, begging to think board is knackered. hope not.
  • Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
    edited January 2008
    I have the very same motherboard.It sound,s like your Bios battery need,s replacing.I have just replaced my one yesterday at the sum of £2.The Bios battery should be changed on average every 2 year,s.This proberly why every time you you logon your time and date are wrong and that if time and date are not set correctly you will find that you cannot open web pages or sign into MSN.It is easy enough to install a new battery but you will find you may have to reset Bios and the update for the mainboards Bios is available from HP website,they also have an online scanner wich will determin what drives you may also need.Remove battery and take to local computer shop or write down all the numbers and letters correctly that are written on the battery,as Bios lithium batterys come in diffrent thicknesses and you need to buy the correct one.Replace battery with new one with rim side of battery facing upwards.I also do not recommend a blast of air into a pc i would gently vacum all hardware clean,or brush gently with a soft none nylon or manmade fiber brush,I find a pure bristle pastry brush does the job brilliantly.I also recommend no stripping PC unless you are totaly sure of what you are doing.