DVD-RAM vs DVD RW

edited April 2006 in Hardware
DVD-RAM vs DVD RW

Hi.
I'm not sure which one I should choose.
I need a disc which store my regular backup and item collection.
The contents of the disc will be updated, say, quarterly or monthly.

The disc must be reliable and can keep the contents intact.

Q:
1) Which disc suits my need best? Any advice?

2) How reliable is DVD-RAM and DVD+/-RW?

3) What brand/model of DVD disc do you recommend?

Thank you.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    1) DVD-RAM is excellent for backup because of its increased capacity over +/-R/RW, but it's poor because DVD-RAM is slowly fading from the market, having never made a strong initial impact. +/-R/RW won the war rather quickly. Data archivers, however, have been attempting to keep RAM alive to varying degress of success.

2) RAM/RW both last 10+ years if stored in a cool, dry place, out of sunlight.

3) If you're interested in a great RW burner, I suggest the NEC ND-3550A. If you're looking for -RAM and RW, I suggest the LG GSA-4167B.

4) I prefer memorex discs.
  • edited April 2006
    You can hack via software mod the NEC 3550A to a 4550A, which will give you RAM support as well as Labelflash.
  • edited April 2006
    Wai_Wai wrote:
    DVD-RAM vs DVD RW

1) Which disc suits my need best? Any advice?

2) How reliable is DVD-RAM and DVD+/-RW?

3) What brand/model of DVD disc do you recommend?

for data backups dvd-ram is actually the better choice.
    there's an increasing number of dvd-ram capable drives becoming available, dvd-rams last well over 30 years (dvd-rw: max. 10 if you're lucky), can be rewritten 100.000 times (dvd-rw: 1000 times according to specs, ~ 100 times in reality) and - most important - feature an automatic data verification and error correction system. :thumbsup:

in addition you can use dvd-ram just the same way you use a hdd, so you can just drag&drop data to it in windows explorer without the use of a burning software.

good burners are lg 4167b or nec 4550/51/70/71. they work well with panasonic discs.

:headbange
  • edited April 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    You can hack via software mod the NEC 3550A to a 4550A, which will give you RAM support as well as Labelflash.

Hmm... But does it has any side-effect?
    It looks like incredible in my view. :eek:
  • edited April 2006
    actually, cross-flashing nec drives used to be quite simple and troublefree in most cases, however it's not so anymore.

@wai_wai
    you might be interested in this thread :aol:
  • edited April 2006
    I was wrong, it flashes to the 4551a, not 4550a. :)