Maxtor 300GB won't spin

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hello,
This is my first post in this forum.
I have a 300GB HDD in a USB enclosure used as an additionnal drive for my laptop. I dropped it on the floor (carpet floor) :banghead: and it was ON.
I now have a problem, the HDD cannot start spinning. Is there any way I can fix it since it contains all my data.
Thank you.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Yikes! Does it make any attempt at spinning up? Funny noises? Clicks?

Chances are it's hosed. There are professional data recovery facilities, but they're crazy expensive.
  • edited April 2006
    Yeah it makes like a click noise but not so many clicks. and then it makes like an alarm and tries to spin and so on...
    I called Maxtor and they told me maybe the head is stopped on the rest area and to put it in the freezer but it didn't work ( I put it for 2 hours).
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, that was my next suggestion. Try it again, overnight. Maybe someone will come up with an idea in that time.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Yikes, that does not sound very promising I'm afraid :(

Physical damage like that will make it hard for the average person to even attempt data recovery. Recovery would probably require platter removal and replacement into an identical drive, or would need to be directly read by some uber expensive device at a recovery facility. I suppose it all depends how important the data is to you, but you could take a look around on the web for a recovery company.

Give Maxtor a call back and see what they suggest if the freezer didn't work?
  • edited April 2006
    Well thanks a lot for answering my post. The freezer did not work and I called some recovery companies, it costs around 3000$. I think it's not worth 3000$ to recover music and documents. I think there is no other way than the freezer I can do without paying too much money.