Silicon Image 3114 SATARAID Flash Bios

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum whats up all!

anyways heres my problem.

I have a SI 3114 Raid card. The current BIOS is 5.0.39 i think. I read up all over the place on how to update the bios on it since there is a newer version out.

When I go into the control panel and click on the SI icon it shows me all my HD's i have plugged into it and such. but when i go to the FlashBIOS tab it says Chip Type: unknown. Size: Unknown. and it wont let me update the flash bios its like greyed out.

Like I said i read up everywhere so here is some facts i can tell you.

I have the PCI add-on card not integrated thing on the motherboard.
I can get into the BIOS setup utility for the raid card, (pressing F4 or something)

also i cant boot from a particular device on the sata card :)

Comments

• edited August 2006
    HI,
    You've probably got the card with the M29W010B chip. Silicon Image drivers and update software do not recognise this chip. Which is ironic really as it is only a 3.5v version of the 5v M29F010B which the Silicon Image drivers do recognise.
    To get around this you need to download the DOS flash update.
    It won't recognise the chip either. However when it can't find a supported chipset it will present a DOS screen asking you to select the nearest chipset. Just select option one (1) and the BIOS will flash perfectly.
    Windows when rebooted will still not recognise the chipset but at least you will be able to see the BIOS version has changed.

REMEMBER
    Use the BIOS *.bin with the 'r' for raid otherwise window will just detect it as a SATA link controller. NOT a RAID controller.

Happy hunting.
    AMPWS