How to scan hard disk for errors

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hi there.
First let me say that i dont know if ill can explain my problem because fo my bad english.
Im gonna try: i wanted to make a scan for my 2 HD but it has to be when my computer restarts. The HD 2 (where i keep my personal files) made the scan normally. The first HD where i keep my operating system didnt make it. Now everytime when i open my computer appears the screen of scan but it says tha "it wasnt possible to open the volume for direct access" (its writting in portuguese so i dont know if the translation is correct).
What should i do the make the scan?
Thanks for ur atention.

David Medina

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    You can tell it to scan the next time the system reboots, OR, you can boot off your windows XP CD (I assume Windows XP), and select "recovery console" and scan from there.

Your english is perfectly understandable :)

Welcome to short-media!
  • edited April 2006
    I think u didnt understand me. I know how to make a disk scan . I chose to make one when my system restores but when it restores it says that "it wasnt possible to open the volume for direct access" so it does not make the scan. Got it ?
    Can anybody help me?

ps: someone moved my post..and changed my subject...thats not good:-(
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    What Primesuspect is telling you is correct. As you sait it will not scan becuse the volume is in use so it will scan the next time windows is started.
  • edited April 2006
    Yes, but it ALWAYS says that!!!Everytime my system restarts it shows that message and the scan is not done!!Do u understand?
    edited April 2006
    Boot off your Windows XP CD.

When given the choice between "Install Windows" or "Repair using recovery console", select Recovery Console.

When you get into the recovery console, type:

chkdsk c: /r

Does that work?
  • edited April 2006
    Boot off your Windows XP CD.

When given the choice between "Install Windows" or "Repair using recovery console", select Recovery Console.

When you get into the recovery console, type:

chkdsk c: /r

Does that work?

Thanks for helping me. But it didnt work. When i boot off with my Windows XP cd (wich is not one bought in Stores, if u know what i mean) doesnt appear the choice to make between "Install Windows" or "Repair using recovery console".
    Is that any problem with the cd?
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, it's pirated. If you want support, buy the software. Good luck :rolleyes:
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited April 2006