windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt! HELP!!!

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Whenver i start my computer, it gives me the mode options (normal, safe,etc). However whatever mode i select i get a windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing error! It tells me that i can attempt to fix it by putting in the startup disk and pressing r for repair. I've googled this topic in hopes of finding a solution, but none of them have worked for me. I believe it stems from the fact that I have from the start turned off my restore points. I don't know what to do! HELP!!!

dell says its a virus and wants me to pay money in order to fix it. hopefully this isn't the case and is fixable by my own hands...

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    It's not likely to be a virus; save your money.

Head on over here and read through the suggestions there. :)
  • edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    It's not likely to be a virus; save your money.

Head on over here and read through the suggestions there. :)

Thanks god. I've tried out the suggestions on this page but none of them seem to work. When i try to reinstall windows, after the agreement, instead of getting a menu with a repair option, i get a partition menu with options such as enter=install and d=delete partition. So I'm still stuck...please help!:banghead:
    edited April 2006
    WarShy wrote:
    Thanks god...
    I appreciate the compliment, but when I applied for the job they told me it had already been filled. :cool:

...I've tried out the suggestions on this page but none of them seem to work. When i try to reinstall windows, after the agreement, instead of getting a menu with a repair option, i get a partition menu with options such as enter=install and d=delete partition. So I'm still stuck...please help!:banghead:
    Did you try the advice in Post #39?

Also, when you're trying to do the Repair Install you should start out like you're going to do a clean install, then follow the advice here. Skip past the part early on where it refers to using the Recovery Console to do a repair - they are two different things.
  • edited April 2006
    I think post 39 has directions for people that use restore points. since i don't use them i don't have any. Also like i said before, instead of getting the repair page after the agreement page, i get a partition page. I really don't know what to do. It gives me enter=install option. Also I have 3 partitions for some reason. Someone help! Thanks!:werr:
    edited April 2006
    WarShy wrote:
    ...Also like i said before, instead of getting the repair page after the agreement page, i get a partition page...
    Does the "partition page" show a partition with an existing copy of WinXP on it?

If not, run TestDisk and see if it can find a recoverable partition.