laptop vid card

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Ok I really know nothing at all about laptop hardware, so I'm going to need some help with this one.

My friend just got one of the new dell inspiron E1505 (core duo) notebooks and was wondering if its possible to upgrade the graphics card on it. I dont know wheter laptops actually have a modified pci-e slot, or if its sort of like an integrated chip. So would it be possible to upgrade the vid card? (probably through dell)

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    It is possible depending on the case. some are made ot fit only the card that came with it while others are exspandable... The main issue will be finding a retailer that sells the Notebook card... and finding out if the notebook would be able to fit it...
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Another thing to worry about is Dell propriatairy hardware issues. If the card isn't something that normally goes into a Dell then you may need to use a Dell only product. One of the bigger reasons I dislike Dell, but a good business move on their part.

I haven't opened up a laptop in a couple years, but are they making seperate boards for graphics processors now? Back when I did work on a very few lappys, the only thing on a seperate board was the CPU.
    edited April 2006
    Yes The GPU in most cases are ran via PCI within the laptop
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    He bought the E1505 which has the option when you customize it to upgrade the vid card to something higher, but I didnt know if you HAD to do it then.
    edited April 2006
    Yeah most vendors don't even carry Laptop cards in stock. If you know someone who has a inside dealer you can pick one up... but they are not cheap.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    newer video cards in laptops run pcie, ive been looking into building my own laptop from a barbook for a wile. dell was the only place ive been able to find selling the go7800gtx and they want 600 bucks for it.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']newer video cards in laptops run pcie, ive been looking into building my own laptop from a barbook for a wile. dell was the only place ive been able to find selling the go7800gtx and they want 600 bucks for it.

$600 :wow:
    edited April 2006
    the 6 series is PCI if I remeber correctly