new rig, wanting to OC...ANY help welcome ;-)

DezDez Netherlands
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hello, first of all, i'm a newb @ OC-ing! i do have my current cpu OC'ed...but as far as i know it's right from a program (it's a P4 2,66 @ 2,67).
i was looking around for specs of my new processor when i came upon some features about OC-ing it....hence i came here and found you guys!
(forum looks great and very open!)
Ok, here's a start from me, i've carefully chosen most parts, using the "how to build a SLI-pc" @ nVidia.
My new pjoeter will look something like this :

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Enermax EG701AX-VE (G) SFMA 600 Watt
XFX 256MB 7900GT xt PCI-E (waiting for it to come! standard OC @ Clock rate
550 MHz/Memory Clock 1.63 GHz)

above items are on hold until the xfx is in, so i COULD change the enermax if needed!

OCZ Memory EL Platinum Dual Channel 2048 MB, PC3200, 400 MHz /2x1024!
Arctic Freezer 64 Pro
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250/200GB,7200rpm,8MB,SATAII,ncq / 2 times! (im not sure what RAID though, open to suggestions)
and even more, i have a 160GB Maxtor IDE i would somehow like to include in this system....if possible, if not, Dad gets a brand new large hdd with this system ;-)

later on i'm planning to buy another xfx card to turn it into SLI.

I'd like to "mildly" OC the 3800 up to 2500Ghz. I don't have the parts actually in, so i'm concentrating on getting as much info/input i can get before the actual build ofcourse :-)

I already have tried to calculate which PSU would suit my needs @ http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
according to the stats there i should have enough power left, but i'm still not sure if the "rails" are good enough??

Hope you guys can help me out a bit (judging from the replies i've seen you can!) :D

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Hi Dez, welcome to Short-Media! I put together a complete A64 socket 754/939 overclocking guide that should help to answer many of your questions. The link to it is: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300

We'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have, so please let us know how it goes!

As far as the PSU is concerned, I think it will do just fine with a single 7900GT, but I'm not so sure about how it will fair with a pair. The main problem is the dual +12V rail, which is often difficult to efficiently use. I personally prefer PSUs with single beefy +12V rails, such as the OCZ Powerstream 520, or the PC Power and Cooling 510.
  • DezDez Netherlands
    edited April 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Hi Dez, welcome to Short-Media! I put together a complete A64 socket 754/939 overclocking guide that should help to answer many of your questions. The link to it is: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300

Already bookmarked and printing :thumbsup: looks very decent, quite a long read, but i know it's worth the time&effort!!
    lemonlime wrote:
    We'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have, so please let us know how it goes!

will do when that #*&$*(#&( videocard is getting out of the factory again! :):)
    lemonlime wrote:
    As far as the PSU is concerned, I think it will do just fine with a single 7900GT, but I'm not so sure about how it will fair with a pair. The main problem is the dual +12V rail, which is often difficult to efficiently use. I personally prefer PSUs with single beefy +12V rails, such as the OCZ Powerstream 520, or the PC Power and Cooling 510.

So basically, the OC will run steadily UNTILL i'd drop the 2nd videocard in?

Gha! i understand the +12V rail thingie now....your advice will cost me i see now ;) "looking for another PSU" :)
    Ok, as far as I've been able to even spot one, i've tried the supplier where i'm gonna buy the other stuff for the PSU:OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI...
    that should do the trick, if not, i'm not sure which one to get, cuz all the latest models have a dual 12v!? or is it possible to "add" them up??
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited April 2006
    I recently was new to OCing. I used the guide by lemonlime. I 4400+ is running @2.7 on air. Max temp is 45. Once you get through the technical jargon it is easy as all get out. Only had to jump the motherboard once. HAHAHAHAH
    I got impatient!

Have fun man!

Life is a buger, so eat it!!!:cheers:
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Check out this thread on OCing your 7900GT's.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43857

Make sure you get an aftermarket GPU HSF like Zalman's Fatal1ty if you plan on doing this so you can get the optimum OC.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2006
    Hey Dez, welcome to an adiction called overclocking :) I would like to make one recomendation though. If you are going to get a dual core CPU you might as well get an Opteron 165. THey have more cache and generally overclock higher on less voltage than the x2 3800. If you overclock it to 2.6ghz ( a very comon OC) you basically have an fx60 for a third of the cost.
    http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120338&Category_Code=amddc
  • DezDez Netherlands
    edited April 2006
    Thx for the extra info guys :D
    @7900, this one is standard OC-ed...that'll do for a while i think :) (did bookmark the page tho) ;)
    and @ Opteron, this will be a puter where i'd like to run Reason on...a music producing thingie. I think/hope that a dual-core will actually improve the stability of Reason (its stable now, but from time to time it clicks)