NON-Raid setup

JEBJEB
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I have a BIOStar VIA P4M800/VT8237 MOB, W two 250 Segate SATA Drives. i have XP Pro installed on both drives, but thought I had them set up as Drives C & D (NON RAID) worked fine for two months. Now will not boot up with both drives connected and when attempting to reinstall windows from disk says no HD present. However if I disconect ether drive the other will boot normally. My original intent was to have 500 of Gig storage. Bought from Tiger / Systemax NO HELP from these TURKEYS. Any advise would be appreciated. By the way did I mention I am a SATA VIRGIN?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    When you installed Windows you had both drives connected and put the install on the second drive, which would be Disk 1. The first disk in the system is Disk 0 and this is where your "Boot INI" files went. So when you removed that drive from the system your Boot files went with it. This is a fairly common mistake and you probably went by the numbers on the board but they do not actually coincide with the order in the BIOS for which drive is addressed first. Even if you made the other drive the first boot drive it is still not the first addressed drive by the system. You should have needed a floppy with the SATA drivers on it that you install at the beginning of the install process when it prompts you to hit "F2" to install other drivers. So when you do the new install just make sure to umplug the drive you are not putting the OS on.
  • JEBJEB
    edited April 2006
    thanks for the reply, Actually when I got the system from Tiger, XP was loaded in the raid setup and showed as one 250 gig drive.
    i think I remember disconnecting one drive and booted up got the system runningon the one drive. then reconnected the second drive and it reconized the second drive as the D drive, I then loaded my programs on the first C drive and intended to use the D drive as file storage (I am using the system to edit videos from church services) This worked great for two months One of my people moved the system downstairs to connect to the internet to update the software. the system would not restart again. till i walked them through the procedure I mentioned in the first post. Any advice will be appreciated.