Dell P1130 expert mode dull. is this normal?

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hi all,

Im a forum newbie but long time digital photographer so please go easy on me

Some history.
I recently purchased a dell P1130 with the intention of calibrating it using the Spyder2 Pro. I use my monitor for graphic manipulation / post processing photography images so colour accuracy and high res are important to me (hence my purchase) . The monitor is second hand, refurbished and manufactured 2002 Dec. All seems okay in easy, variable modes, however in order to calibrate my monitor i set it to expert mode so that i have access to RGB gain and bias adjustements.

I too experience the same normal operations as mentioned on this thread relating to normal cooling up period where things look brighter or greener, but after this things look okay.

Problem is that in rgb mode, the monitor seems a little less contrasty and not as bright. I go through the normal calibration mode and adjust my monitor to 6500K with correct RGB levels adjustment. Things are great colorwise and prints match screen look. However its just not as bright as when i (after calibration) switch my monitor to Variable or other modes.

Ive read expert mode is supposed to be more colour accurate and therefore think this might be normal for my monitor... but im not sure.

(eg brighter conditions for 6500K variable mode vs 6500L expert colour calibrated mode). - please note i have in expert mode contrast at 100% and brightness at about 50-60% above this colours start looking washed out. But when i flick to variable mode and 6500K settings, things are very bright and i find myself adjusting contrast or brightness down. - but i dont want to work in variable mode.

Can someone please clarify if they experience this also and if it is normal.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2006
    hy there.I also own a Dell P1130 manufactured in 08-2003.I also experience the same "problem" during the warm-up time (the image is brighter and a little green) but after about 15 min. the image is perfect.About the rest of the settings in your OSD i reccomend 6500K (color temp.), color mode: preset.
    I think this strange behaviour before warm-up is absolutely normal for this monitor since all of them have the same "problem".
  • edited April 2006
    fanfan wrote:
    hy there.I also own a Dell P1130 manufactured in 08-2003.I also experience the same "problem" during the warm-up time (the image is brighter and a little green) but after about 15 min. the image is perfect.About the rest of the settings in your OSD i reccomend 6500K (color temp.), color mode: preset.
    I think this strange behaviour before warm-up is absolutely normal for this monitor since all of them have the same "problem".

The green screen while warming up does not concern me..

ITs the fact that for colour calibration using colorvision or monaco tools i would prefer to use expert RGB mode to enable closer calibration of my monitor.

Does anyone else experience or can confiorm that in rgb mode the monitor is indeed duller than 6500K preset or user (i think)... mode... even with gain to 100 on all 3 channels i still find my monitor dimmer.... even when calibrated to 6500K in rgb mode..

can someone please confirm their experiences thanks..