Screen Resolution Problem

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hi, i have a self built computer (but i didn't build it) and i just had to reload windows on it and everything works except my screen resolution is stuck at 800 x 600 pixels, so i guess that means something is wrong with my video card? i have no idea. can someone please help me. it is windows xp home edition and it's not mine i borrowed it from my girlfriend and it's a windows that is only to be distributed with dell pc's, but it works perfectly fine on my computer except for this problem. please help me.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Have you installed the drivers for the video card?
  • edited April 2006
    see that's the problem, i don't have a disk or anything with the drivers on it. is there somewhere that i can download one?
  • dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
    edited April 2006
    You have to find out what Vidoe card you have first. Then you could find them on either Nvidia's or ATI's site. There is nothing wrong with using Dell's Xp cd though.
  • edited April 2006
    ok that's cool, how do i find out what kind of video card i have? and what is the actual web adress for the driver? thanks for your help
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Probably the easiest thing to do would be to open up the side panel of your case, and take a look at the graphics card. There should be a logo or part/model-number on it somewhere. Also, give Windows Update a try. It may shed some light on your card type..