Need 939 mobo, 300 fsb and HiDef sound

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Hardware
This it guys. I am giving my wife one of my NF7s. I will replace it with a 939 system.
What mobo have YOU been able to run stable at 300fsb?
And no more sound cards. I am not too demanding, but high def sound would be nice.

What about an ABIT AN8?

Anyone actually running a Foxcon? Jetway? ECS? What fsb can you reach?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Asus
    DFI
    Epox (to keep Omega happy)

I have had no problem getting several CPU's to 300 in my DFI LP nF4 SLI-DR.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Hehe ...hope you get lucky like Qel did on your stepping. What cpu will you be getting ed?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have no clue. I am not going CPU shopping until I pick a mobo.

I am leaning to the DFI Ultra-D.
    I don't know if I should go cheap and put a +3200 in it or go for the X2. Which cores are the best OCers?

Let's see, the mobo has a mark down, the OCZ memory has a rebate. Now I just need the CPU and a video card.
    edited April 2006
    A 3200 Venice is the best cheap option. Then a 165 or 170 Opteron is best for dual core depending on budget.
    edited April 2006
    Budget? You think that i have money? I am still running TBirds in folding boxes.

I was thinking about going cheap and then moving to dual core later.

Would a 170 actually had double the folding output of a +3200?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    Budget? You think that i have money? I am still running TBirds in folding boxes.

I was thinking about going cheap and then moving to dual core later.

Would a 170 actually had double the folding output of a +3200?
    why certainly! :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    Actually my 170 is more like 2x 3700 San Diego cores due to the larger cache. :D
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Asus
    DFI
    Epox (to keep Omega happy)

I have had no problem getting several CPU's to 300 in my DFI LP nF4 SLI-DR.
    Thank You! :D
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    No S939 boards have anything even close to hi-def sound i'm afraid. They can call it whatever they want, Karajan, AC-97, Soundblaster (msi diamond have soundblaster onboard) etc. If sound is a big thing, please, get a stand-alone card. If the soundchip on your NF7 is your thing, the only soundcard that supports the same output (DD live, 5.1 out through optical etc), is the cards based on the c-media chips. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829156001
    edited April 2006
    Mac, sad but true. I have come to love the NF7 soundstorm. It isn't perfect, but really pretty good.

OK guys, I'll look for a 170. I'll talk to the bank today.....
    The DFI Ultra-D it will be.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    Mac, sad but true. I have come to love the NF7 soundstorm. It isn't perfect, but really pretty good.

OK guys, I'll look for a 170. I'll talk to the bank today.....
    The DFI Ultra-D it will be.

I still love my Ultra-D.. best board I've ever owned. You won't be disappointed, plus the price is certainly right. The onboard sound is pretty weak unfortunatly, but that is pretty common place among most 939 boards these days. I'm scoping out that card Mac linked myself :)
    edited April 2006
    Do what I did for the sound. It is far far better than how you are supposed to do it. Just install the NF driver pack and DO NOT INSTALL THE REALTEK DRIVERS. It is much better that way as I have tried it both ways several times. ;)
  • edited May 2006
    TA DAA!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130487R

Answer to ur prayers, Very good onboard sound(24bitlive), really really good OC, 6 Sata2, Pretty good driver support oh yea did I mention $114.....
    :kneel:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Out of interest, there are some motherboards that claim "HiDef" sound (yeah, keyword hype, we get it, stop attaching it to everything, especially when they are still as **** as they were before). It just seems like an ambiguous new word that makes crap things (i.e. onboard sound) sound better than it is. What benefits does the 'HiDef' onboard sound give over the normal AC'97 rubbish?