new first build

Hello,
I am building a new system, and have had many strange thiing happen when I tried to load windows.

here is what happened in steps.

1. I only put the basic stuff in that I needed first, when I tried to load windows, I got many blue screens, saying check ram, or disbale the L2cache or disbale the shadowing opton in the bios.

2. I tried a different cpu, know to work, and I have tried 3 different new sticks of ram.

3. I finally disbaled the L2cache and got windows loaded, but the pc continues to reboot itself over and over again.

4. I looked at the ECS website, and got a stick of ram they say works for this mobo, but when I install it, the pc just keeps beeping.

5. I am thinking that this new mobo is bad. What does anyone think about this please?

system specs:

755-A2 mobo socket 754

AMD 3100+ cpu

1 gig of ram

120 G hard drive

asus Nvidia TI 4800 SE video card 128 mb

well I took mobo out, and laid in box, everything seems to be ok, has not rebooted. I did notice that whenI got ready to take mobo out, it was missing 2 or 3 screws on the mobo to hold it in.
Not sure that this is the problem. I also am wonding if the ata raid card I installed to hook up 2 other drives could be the problem.
I checked temp, of system in the case and outside the case, all seem ok.
really wonding if the grounding is the problem. Should I hook up everything, I want to run in the pc, and leave mobo in box, and see what the results are?
I also did set bios at deflaults, and shorted the jumpers

Comments

• well, I am sorry, but I am wrong, my pc is starting to reboot itself again even when mobo is laying in the box, I think I have a bad mobo, or bad ram.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Hi dynamically_programmed, Welcome to Short-Media! :cheers:

Sorry for the delay in replying. That problem could be several things in my opinion:

1) Faulty mainboard as you mentioned. It is quite possible that the mainboard is simply faulty and needs to be replaced.

2) Power issues: Could you provide some detail on your powersupply? If possible, test with another one to see if it corrects the issue. If one of the there main voltage rails is too low/high, that could easily cause instability.

3) Mainboard shorting out: Could you double/triple check that there is no foreign metal particles on your mainboard? I'm a little confused about the three missing screws. Are you sure the screws were there when you installed it? a rogue screw under the mainboard could easily short out something.

Best of luck to you.. please let us know how it goes.
  • well I sent the mobo in, I will have to wait until it comes bacxk, to see how things go. I f still rebooting, then I will send in the ddr ram stick to be tested.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    This time, dry run everything outside of the case. mobo, cpu and cooler, 1 stick of memory and video card. Just make sure that it boots into bios. Then you can shut it down and add drives.
    I hate doning this because it takes time, but it saves a lot of trouble in the long run.