Rip off a little piece of metal next to the gpu?

VagrantxVagrantx San Francisco, CA
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hello,

I'm planning to put an Arctic Silencer in my 9800 pro so i did some practice on my burnt 9700. I used my plow dryer on the heatsink to heat it up little, but it was still kind of stuck. Then finally it got it open up i notice there was some yellow paste on it and also there was a little piece metal missing on the green part which was stuck on the heatsink. So im wondering does all ati graphic card use the same thermal paste.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2006
    Put the card in the freezer. Being cold will make the paste brittle and will be easier to pry off of the card.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Hi Vagrantx, welcome to Short-Media!

The freezer trick that mmonnin mentioned can work, but I don't think it'll be necessary with a 9800 pro. I had little difficulty removing my heatsink from mine. If it appears stuck once the plastic clips have been pinched and dislodged, slowly rock it back and fourth in a circular motion until it comes loose. Be very careful not to bend/break any capacitors on the card and take your time.

Just a tip: The thermal paste that comes with the silencer is awful (at least with my Rev.1 it was).. pick up some arctic silver 5. It works much better.

Best of luck to you.. :cheers:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Also low rotational motion works good to....be patient with it :)
  • VagrantxVagrantx San Francisco, CA
    edited April 2006
    thanks guys, i got it installed and it's working great. My 9800 pro didn't have the same thermal paste as my 9700 pro, it came out easly after the pin were removed.

thanks, Vagrantx