DVD-ROM drive will not work!

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys, I am having a serious problem regarding my DVD-ROM drive, it just doesn't work! It has not worked for some time, however, I really didn't care as I didn't use it often. I have a CD-RW/CD-ROM drive as well, which I now have to use to read all of my discs, and it works fine for everything but, of course, DVDs. I now have been trying to look into why the DVD ROM drive is not working and can't figure it out.

Here is the drive's info:

SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612

Device Type: DVD/CD-ROM drive
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

The device status is: Working Properly

I am using XP SP2 on a Dell PC

Also, I have tried to use the troubleshooter and update the driver and nothing seems to work. Whenever I enter a disc and try to open the D: drive, which is where this DVD-ROM is assigned, I get the "Please Insert a disk" message. Which shows something is not communicating properly.

Could this have something to do with removing Adaptec CD creator wrong? I used to have it with Windows ME, and I upgraded to Windows XP and got rid of it.

Hopefully someone can help me out, this is getting really frustrating. Thank you in advance!

-Justin

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Is it recognized in the BIOS during post?

If not then check cables and jumper settings. If it is now on 'CS' try changing it to the coresponding cable position. 'Master' for head of cable or 'Slave' for the middle position.
  • edited April 2006
    I am not sure how to check the BIOS nor alter the Master/Slave settings, could you provide insight or an article of how to? Thanks!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Hi tarheeljcs.. welcome to Short-Media!

If you can see your drive in windows (which I believe you do, since it is prompting you to insert a disc) your MASTER/SLAVE settings are fine. It sounds to me like the drive is simply defective. There should not be any special drivers required for XP and DVD drives. I doubt that easy cd creator could have caused an issue like that, but you could always try to reinstall it to check :)

Have you tried a variety of discs? does the DVD drive read regular CDs ok?

Best of luck to you!