boot.ini

edited April 2006 in Hardware
I am working on a winxp pro sp2 Toshiba laptop that will not boot. I need to edit the boot.ini, I have the xp cd but cannot do a repair because I don't have the admin password. Is there any way to edit the boot.ini by booting from the xp cd without having the admin password? Thanks for any assistance!:banghead:

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Yes there are ways to edit the boot.ini... The question is, what needs to be changed?
  • edited April 2006
    Actually I figured it out. I made an UBCD, booted and just edited the change I made earlier. Thanks for the reply at any rate.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited April 2006
    The admin password is usually nothing. Just press enter. That's what happen to me I was trying to repair and then I kept trying all my passwords, and accidentally pressed enter one time and it worked.
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks for the hint. I think I tried that at one point but I'm not sure. I'll start making all admin passwords the same from now on.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    bobbyg wrote:
    Thanks for the hint. I think I tried that at one point but I'm not sure. I'll start making all admin passwords the same from now on.
    That's why I just make all mine "NONE" for the password. I could never forget that. ;)
  • edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    That's why I just make all mine "NONE" for the password. I could never forget that. ;)

That's sound advice for sure. I'm not too sure I did the initial setup on the blasted devil spawn in question. I guess it could just be old age. Either way a system needs to be put in place.

Happy Easter everyone!

bobbyg