Athlonxp 2200+ and memory?

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Well I was getting an athlon64 3000+ to overclock but now the situation has changed and I have to stick with my current system.

It was an xp 1800+ but a long time ago I got a 2200+ cheap however my system would only run for 15 minutes before locking up when set to that so I have to run it as an 1800+ grrrr. I'm running 3 256meg chips and while they were all meant to be the same speed it seems only 2 of them are PC2300 and the other one is only PC2100 so it lead me to believe that is the reason it locks up when running it at 2200+?

Anyway to my question will PC-3200 DDR ram work or would I need a new MB?

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    That is very likely. If you have a 333MHz FSB Thoroughbred 2200+, the PC2100 stick would be running higher than it's specificication of 266MHz. I'd venture a guess that if you pull out that PC2100 stick, you'll find your system stable once again. If you eliminate that stick, and stick to PC3200, you'll be able to overclock that chip quite a bit without hitting any RAM issues.

What motherboard do you have?
  • edited April 2006
    Tnx, and are there any programs to adjust the memory timings in windows like "A64 Tweaker" seein that wont work with an XP cpu? Did some googling but I couldn't find any.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Hi Morbane, that all depends on your mainboard. If you have a nforce2 chipset, it should be possible with a program called nf2tweaker. Otherwise, I'm not too sure if you can.

Welcome to Short-Media btw! :cheers: