The Magical No Boot Problem (Please Help)

07mavribea07mavribea Perth, Western Australia
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I have just came back from an awesome 2 day Lan with some friends and decided install my new L.E.D.'s and other minor tasks like cleaning dust from the computer when i got home. I try to start up the computer (LED working fine and looking cool if u care) and thats' where problems begin.

The first part of POST (picture of mother board) took about 30 seconds to finish unlike .25 of second it usually does. Everything else also seems to be running alot slower.

we get somethign like the following:

Verigying DMi Pool Data

Boot for CD:
Boot for CD:

Nvidia Boot Agent (then some copyright stuff after that)

Client MAC ADDR: (some numbers)
GUID: (more numbers)
DHCP...-

PXE-M0F:Exising PXE Rom

(now the fun part) DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER

Ok put in windows XP disc (keep i mind took about 4 minutes to reach this stage) and it doesn't boot.

I have being reading forums and they suggesting many things. CMOS battery dead (which it isn't as the time is correcT IN THE bios).

Power Supply not putting out enough watts. This seems plausible as i only have 300W PS and the LED's could have pushed the SP to its limits. Removing the LED's does not solve the problem though. Wondering if i could have "starved" components of power by having LED's on.

Messing around with IDE drives pin set up (i.e. master, slave and cable select). I think i might have jammed or broken HD on the ride home from the lan or when i install LED's, as everything was working fine at the LAN. Worth noting the HD does nothing after the first moments after boot up and the computer does not seem to pick up secondary HD anymore.

If anyone has ANY sugestions or help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 07mavribea07mavribea Perth, Western Australia
    edited April 2006
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Once you see a computer go through the Network Boot stuff (Nvidia Boot Agent...etc) it is telling you that it can't find anything to boot from on your Hard Drive. Check all your cables and power connectors and re-check your Master/Slave/Cable Select jumpers again. What does the BIOS say under both of the IDE Channels?
    edited April 2006
    Thats make sense as i found a new line in my post "PXE-E53: No Boot Filename Recived". This means "The Boot Agent received a DHCP or BOOTP offer, but has not received a valid filename to download. If you are using PXE, please check your PXE and BINL configuration. If using BOOTP, be sure that the TFTP service is running and that the specific path and filename are correct." Does this mean my HD is curopt?

I have checked all cables and power quickly (i.e not pulling out of case). My BIOS seems to pick up primary hardrive (with windows on) but not secondary, 6gb HD with 2 games on (non windows stuff). BIOS picks up both DVD and CD drive.
    edited April 2006
    My dad said he had a similar problem which was because of a jam in the HD. I took the HD out and taped it a bit and upside down (like he did). Now everything seems to be fast again and flies through POST like usual, But...

NTDRL is missing. He says it is still HD and a quick google confirms this. If anyone has knowledge on this can they put down a few words of there knowledge.

Thanks
    edited April 2006
    This information is a refrence for future readers.

I inserted the XP CD and booted from there. A blue window come up and a little grey section at the bottom said it was "loading" all these controllers etc. It then came up with a menu with setup xp, repair xp and close. I entered repair. It asked me for what windows to repair. I didn't know what to put so i just presed enter to restart (that was an option in that screen) in a hope all the previous "loading" fixed it. Well it did and my computer boots, XP boot disc free now.

P.S. For other peoples use, what should have i put in "what windows to repair" as i could only enter one character?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    07mavribea wrote:
    ...what should have i put in "what windows to repair" as i could only enter one character?
    It should have shown you a box with all your partitions listed in it. Assuming you only had one Windows installation to begin with you'd just go with that.

Glad you got it going. :D
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited April 2006
    07mavribea wrote:
    My dad said he had a similar problem which was because of a jam in the HD. I took the HD out and taped it a bit and upside down (like he did). Now everything seems to be fast again and flies through POST like usual,

Ouch :eek:
    Your Dad's from the sideways inertial displacement camp.:eek:

Glad you got it fixed though mate. :wink: