Windows Problems...Please Help!!!

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Alright, here is the problem. Recently, I replaced my master hard drive on my desktop. I have loaded windows XP pro and I have encountered the following problems.

1) I have installed sp1 and I can't get the os to realize that the hd is 160 gigs... not the 128 that I am seeing.

2) Everytime I attempt to install sp2, my computer reboots and gets to the xp loading screen before blanking out and restarting.

3) I have attempted to install sp2 three times now. Every time I do, more and more of my hard drive is used up. I had a hard drive with only three gigs used. Now, my hard drive is filled with 19 gigs. I have no other programs installed so, is this normal?

My desktop is a 2001 gateway. Pentium 4, 256 sd ram. This is all the info I can give right now since I can't remember the rest (desktops at dads house). If you need more, tell me.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments

• edited April 2006
    When I tallied everything up on the C drive and it said I used 3 gigs. When I went to disk defragmenter, it said I used 19
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Does the BIOS identify the size of the drive properly? How is the drive formatted? NTFS, or FAT32?
  • edited April 2006
    The drive is formatted in NTFS. As for the BIOS, it does identify the drive size properly
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    You could have a spyware or virus problem. Try running SpaceMonger and see where all your space is going. :)
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    I'll guess that you first installed the Win-XP then the firewall and anti virus.
    If you like you might consider to install the Win-XP again following this list.
    If you didn't install the chipset driver, please try that first.
    1. Locate all disks that you need for an clean installation.
      a. Win-XP with key.
      b. All the drivers - chipset, network interface "NIC" and graphic.
      c. If you are going to install XP on SATA HD, you will need an SATA driver disk.
      d. If you fear that the XP-SP2 might be virus infected please ask an friend to download and burn an copy to the CD.
      If not download it after you have installed your FW and AV.

2. Please back up all your private data.

3. Disconnect the internet connection from the computer.
      You shall not connect the computer untill you have the FW and AV installed.

4. Install the XP operating system.
      At the partition part, configure one partition for the Win-XP ( C:\ ) 10-20 GB of space.
      The rest (in your case 160-20 GB = 140 GB) you can create one or more partitions for your data.

You can delete all your partitions, then create on partition of 20 GB and one partition of 140 GB.

5. After the installation you have to install these drivers ..
      a. Chipset
      b. NIC
      c. Graphic drivers.

Usually you have an older driver versions on the CD's which arrived with the computer.

6. Install the Win-XP SP2.

7. Then install the firewall and antivirus protection.
      With the XP SP2 microsoft has it own FW, but my advise is not to use it as it will not be able to block outgoing traffic.
      This is one big disadvantage with the XP SP2 FW.

Just remember that XP SP2 FW is better then nothing.
      If you are using an different FW, then turn the SP2 FW off before installing yours.

8. Configure your system accordingly to your requirement.
      - Make sure the FW auto configuration is turned off, etc.

9. Connect to the Internet and update the Firewall & Antivirus protection.

10. Update the Win-XP at www.microsoft.com

Once you are up and running and being virus free, please download the newest chipset, NIC and graphic drivers.
    Burn one installation disk to be used later when you run into trouble.

Using the XP SP1 the system should be able to see disk sizes larger then 128 GB.
    Later you can slipstream the XP-SP2 onto your original win-XP license disk and burn one installation disk.

Here is some more information.
    EnableBigLba Registry Setting in Windows 2000 and XP