How to get University to fold?

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Folding@Home
Well guys, I've just gone back to University, and of course the hundreds of PC's on our concourse are just sitting there doing nothing most of the time.

Put folding on as a screensaver to run when nobody is logged on I thought. The problem is that the University I go to has their own adverts running when somebody is logged off, as the screensavers.

The adverts run in a slideshow way, and advertise things like student deals on mobile phones, bank accounts etc. Of course these adverts crap up the idea of running the folding client as the screensaver when nobody is logged on.

So, I am asking the S-M members if there is a way I can get the folding client to run in the background when nobody is logged onto a computer, and not get in the way of these adverts the uni runs.

If I could do that then it would strengthen the case for the uni putting folding onto their computers.

I have seen the guides to running folding as a service, but when I tried that at the company I worked for in Germany for a year I never got it to work. Is running it as a service a viable option? If so, I'd need help getting it going if I could convince the Uni to fold.

Also, I'd need some help from the marketing guys at S-M as to how to best approach the uni and ask them to fold (perhaps under team #93 but as username StaffsUni or something)?

Cheers guys,

~Cyrix

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    You need an ally, pref a senior prof in life sciences that has a good friend in IT. It isn't that far fetched, most Agriculture and Biology departments are still huge computer power users (multi vairant studies). Find someone to help you first, otherwise they will blow you off.
    The biggest sell is that this is STANFORD running the program. It isn't comercial and it isn't fly-by-night. Remember to promote the scientific publication by the group.
    You can do it if you can get the right introductions you can do it.