Samsung YP-Z5 - I need help Fast!!!

edited October 2007 in Internet & Media
I bought a samsung yp-z5 ok. Well I was messing around with it trying to get pictures on which i don't know how to do and my wallpaper folder got deleted. Does anyone one no how to get this back. Does anyone no how to put pictures on and does any one know how to chnge wallpaper? :-/

Comments

• edited April 2006
    Some one? Any one?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2006
    Please explane your problem a little better I have very little idea what your talking about.

Did you change your wallpaper and want the old one back ?.
    If so just set the old one as the wallpaper again.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited April 2006
    If you're talking about wallpaper than I'm assuming you're talking about a folder in which you kept all your wallpapers, in which case you may have deleted it?
    Or are you talkin about the desktop theme or something?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    He has an MP3 player of some sort, deleted the wallpaper folder I guess while trying to make one of the images a wallaper....

Sorry, but I think you're SOL if you deleted that folder. I dont know anything about this MP3 player either. Maybe if you have the images on your computer you can import them into the MP3 player again.

A quick google search came up with this...
    Additionally, the background wallpaper can be changed by holding down the selection button on any image in the gallery...
    Linkage: http://www.everythingusb.com/samsung_yp-z5_4gb.html
  • edited April 2006
    I mean that I deleted my folder and at the same time I dont know how to set a wallpaper. I can't change it I don't know how. And I don't know how to add pictures
  • edited July 2006
    Hi i am have a problem with my yp-z5 aswell. After i re-installed windows xp it wouldnt let me put on or delete any songs so the only thing i could do was format it. After i did this it got rid of everything including the music, picture and playlist folder. I got the music folder back but the problem i have is that it is only letting me use 2gb when it holds 4gb. When i try putting other songs on it says request can not be performed because of an I/O device error. Any ideas on what this means? Thanks for reading. If theres any info i missed just ask. :necro:

Thanks

Hydro. U shud just be able to create a folder. open the device from my computer then right click and creat new folder. Name it pictures and it should work.
  • edited August 2006
    hi

i also had the same problem. This is how u can solve it. Visit and samsung site-> go to the products tab-> select digital mp3 player-> and selecet the model YP-Z5 2gb-> then download the latest firmware upgrade for this particular model along with the instructions.

Do as said in instructions and u will be able to get you wall papers back.
  • edited August 2006
    And if u wanna add more picture to your wall papers. FIrst collect the pictures in a folder, name the folder "wallpaper" and synchoronise the pictures in this folder with wmp10 and u will be having ur gf's pic as an wallpaper.
  • edited November 2006
    how do you sync the pics with WMP10?
  • edited December 2006
    I also have the same problem as hinder. However mine is the 2gb player. Media Player will only let me put 1gb on instead of two. I don't realy want to have to reformat. Help please.
  • edited December 2006
    Hey guys...thought I would help out with the sync issue by showing you an easier way. All you have to do to load pictures and even music tracks (without them being in a playlist however) is to plug your player in, then click on My Computer and then select Explore. The player will appear in the folder tree and allyou have to do is select it, then open the branch for Wallpaper and then drag and drop any photo (jpeg only) into it...you can do the same with music tracks by opening the music folder and drag/drop mp3's into it...the player will show "Updating" and when it's done, you can disconnect it and its all there! If you want to import playlists or retrieve album art or song info, you have to sync with media player. I was having a seriously impossible time getting MP10 to recognize my player, even though it showed up in the My Devices browser...so I decided to just install Media Player 11 (which is beta but so far, bug free for me) and the problem is solved...MP11 has built in auto support for our player and most newer ones out there...you outta try it

anyway, hope this helps
  • edited January 2007
    i need help bad, i was listening to music on my samsung and it locked up i cant do anything at all please help me fast
  • edited January 2007
    i need help bad, i was listening to music on my samsung and it locked up i cant do anything at all please help me fast

I know this may sound weird, but this might be do to an overheating issue. I've experienced the same thing more than a few times...one quick way to fix it is simply turn your AC up full and hold the player in front of a vent (in your car that is)...it should start to work soon enough
  • edited June 2007
    For anybody else who stumbles across this thread, this is how to restore wallpapers etc to the Samsung YP-Z5 mp3 player.

This problem appears to occur if you use Windows Media Player 11 instead of the version 10 supplied on the CD with the YP-Z5, and described in the instructions. WMP11 sees the images in the Wallpaper system/wallpaper folder as items that shouldn't be there, so it removes them during the initial synchronisation. Perhaps you upgraded to WMP11, and that's when the problem started? There may of course be other circumstances in which this problem occurs.

The following instructions will fix the problem, restoring the default configuration of the player. However I hope you'll understand that I do not accept any repsonsibility for any loss, damage etc which may occur through you following these instructions (or not!).

Note that this process will not remove your music from the player :-)!

Before you start, check that your player has plenty of battery charge, and that it operates correctly with the computer you're going to use. The computer should have an internet connection - preferably broadband, as we need to download a 10 mb file.

Firstly, check the version of the player by going to Settings/system info/Version in the players manu, and noting the current firmware version - e.g. 2.47 US.

On the lower back of the YP-Z5 there is a label just above the cable port. The top line is the model number- for example, YP-Z5ZB/ELS (1GB, UK market player). Make a note of this.

Go to Samsung's web site and navigate to the Support item (I'm not allowed to post the link for some reason). Select your country, and on the next page, enter the model number that you read off the label in the step above. When the page has refreshed, you will see items available for your player. Click the 'Firmware' tab, and download the correct firmware version, (2.47 in the example) to a handy location on your PC. Unzip the zip file, and you will have a file called Z5Upgrade.dat- right click and Copy this.

Now connect the player to the PC, and browse to the player in My Computer (or with XP, when the Portable Device dialog appears, click 'Open device to view files using Windows Explorer'). You'll see a drive called Samsung YP-Z5 Storage. Open this, and in the root of the device, paste the Z5Upgrade.dat file.

Now, disconnect the USB cable. The player will notice that you've put that file there, and show a screen with the question Upgrade? and with Upgrade and Cancel options. Select Upgrade. After a short time, the player will appear to power down. When this has happened, reconnect the USB cable. The player will power up and a screen will appear on the player saying 'Upgrade in progress...' DO NOT under any circumstances disconnect the cable or press any buttons. Doing so will likely trash the player.

After several minutes (the firmware is 10Mb of compressed data) the player will reboot- you'll see the SAMSUNG logo displayed. After the reboot, check the player out.

You will now have your wallpapers back!

For future reference, the wallpapers exist in a folder called 'Wallpaper' which itself is in the Pictures folder. You can create your own wallpapers using Paint Shop Pro or similar; they are 800 x 600 (yes really) JPEG images. Any that you add yourself will be displayed in alphabetic sequence with the default ones.

There is nothing wrong with WMP11- personaly, I think it's much better than 10. When upgrading to WMP11 though, and connecting to the player for the first time, select the option to synchronise WMP to the player rather than the other way round- this might avoid the wallpaper problem.

Hope this helps;

Have Fun
    Alan
  • edited July 2007
    This forums been alot of help to me, especially Alan. but one problem, for some reason the sticker isnt on my mp3 and i dont know what model i have. i still want to restore my mp3 deperately. Is there any way i could find out my model without the sticker?
    Ta x
  • edited August 2007
    Hi LM__

We still might be able to identify the firmware your player needs. Can you tell me:

If you go to Settings, then System Info and then Version what does the player say?

When you originally installed it, did the CD install Windows Media Player or Samsung Media Studio?

But, try this if you just want the wallpapers back:

Hook the player up to your computer and when it has been recognised, go to My Computer and double click on 'Samsung YP-Z5'. Look in the 'disk drive' and you should see 5 or more folders;

Albums
    Music
    Pictures
    Playlists
    System

If the Pictures folder isn't there create it. The name must be exactly as given here.

In Pictures, you should have a folder called Wallpaper. Again, if it isn't there, create it, using exactly this name.

Copy a few .jpg files into this folder, and you should find the player will display them.

Let me know if this worked!

Regards,
    Alan
  • edited August 2007
    Hi i'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place. but i'm having trouble with my samsung yp-z5. i unplugged it from the USB port without safely removing hardware and now the computer wont register it when i plug it in and when i try to listen to my music it says playback error. does anyone have any ideas? Sophe
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Hi i'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place. but i'm having trouble with my samsung yp-z5. i unplugged it from the USB port without safely removing hardware and now the computer wont register it when i plug it in and when i try to listen to my music it says playback error. does anyone have any ideas? Sophe

Would have been better in a new thread, but this spot doesn't hurt anything :)

Questions: What is your OS? Have you restarted your computer since the read problem began? When you say it won't play your music, do you mean the computer wont play the music, or the yp-z5 wont play the music?
  • edited August 2007
    thank you. Yea ive restarted the computer but hasn't made any difference, The player won't play the music. it just says playback error. when i plug the player via usb back into the computer it says connecting but i wont actually connect.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    It sounds like this communications error is on the side of the player, not the computer. Sometimes when a device it removed without properly ending it's communication session, some files on the device that may have been mid-access can be corrupted, resulting in operation errors.

You need to reformat your music player. Does the manual have good instructions for doing this?
  • edited August 2007
    thank you :), i'll have t have a good search and find it. appreciate your help
  • edited August 2007
    Hydro wrote:
    I mean that I deleted my folder and at the same time I dont know how to set a wallpaper. I can't change it I don't know how. And I don't know how to add pictures

Ok, well first you have to get the folder back, check your recycle bin and put it on your desktop or something. The access the device via "my computer" and open the folder called "pictures". Then just copy and paste the "wallpapers" folder onto the device.
    If you want a different picture as your wall paper, you can drag and drop photos into the "pictures" folder (I find it works best to put all the ones you want in one folder and then put it into the "pictures" folder) and they will now be on your device, to set one as the wallpaper all you have to do is press and hold the central button while viewing it.

Hope this helps :)
  • edited August 2007
    i cant get the album cover to display when i play the song. how do u do it?
  • edited October 2007
    Hello,
    I salute the people of great minds that have been of help on this site.
    My Samsung YP Z5 is playing music & everything but the screen display at times shows completely fine & at times it shows half of the screen. It's been difficult to navigate through it as I can not see. It occassionally shows slideshow error. I have just upraged the firm ware, reset it but its still not working.
    Any help pls?