power supply/SLI video card question

rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I am thinking of upgrading to an SLI system and I am wondering if the power supply I currently have will work. I am Looking at an AMD 64X2 4400+ and one 7900GT then later a second one for SLI. Trying to stay under $1000 for the initial upgrade.

The power supply in question is an Antec Tru550:

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    It would be highly recomended to upgrade to a newer PSU. All though your current PSU has enough combined power it is lacking on the 12V rail, does not have a 24 pin ATX connector or have 2 6 pin video connectors. Just the lack of enough 12V is reason enough.
  • rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited April 2006
    thanks for the info.

I'll probably just go ahead, when I do get ready to buy, and get a barebones system, i.e. case, PSU, mainboard, CPU. Saves the hastle of installing the motherboard. I've had good luck with Antec PSU's so I'll try to stick with them.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Good call on the Antec PSU - I was worried at first when you said "barebones system" - I was imagining one of the bargain-basement models with an underperforming PSU inside. Good luck on your upgrade!
    edited April 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Good call on the Antec PSU - I was worried at first when you said "barebones system" - I was imagining one of the bargain-basement models with an underperforming PSU inside. Good luck on your upgrade!

On second though I might just get a PSU. The barebones cases with 550 watt Antecs are too pricey.

I probably won't be buying anything for a few months. I tend to start shopping around months before I make purchase for a computer upgrade.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I do that too - mostly because I'm broke! ;)
  • edited April 2006
    rc1974 wrote:
    On second though I might just get a PSU. The barebones cases with 550 watt Antecs are too pricey.

I probably won't be buying anything for a few months. I tend to start shopping around months before I make purchase for a computer upgrade.

That is a good idea and you can also start buying separate items as you can afford to, like buy the psu first, then a new case and so on before you make the plunge for the mobo/proc/vid card combo. That way you don't get hit with a gigantic bill in 1 shot. It also gives you a chance to possibly save some money too when you do go with the new mobo and proc. In the next 3-5 months I expect to see some deals coming up on socket 939 boards and socket 939 procs, when AM2 is in the supply pipeline. Since everything I've read so far doesn't point to any performance advantage with AM2 procs and boards, all you lose is future upgradability (and maybe not even that, since it's not writ in stone that AM2 won't be folllowed up soon by another socket design).

As for a psu, I would also recommend highly both the OCZ Powerstream models and also PC Power and Cooling. They are expensive, but well worth it and they both have a 5 year warrantee.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited April 2006
    Like Mudd said The PCP&C PSUs ar the best on the market and the OCZs are good also.

Here's a link to the SLI certified TruePower 550
    Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W

also

Antec TruePower 2.0 TRUECONTROL II-550 ATX12V 550W
    edited April 2006
    I think I might wait until the AM2 boards are available. There has to be some good deals going on then for 939 boards.

The biggest reason I have for upgrading is Oblivion. It's a fun game, but runs too slow for my liking. I need to have the eye candy. Also, I'd have five processors for folding instead of just three. :rockon:

Other than that I'm just bored and need an excuse to buy new computer equipment. It tends to be about every 2 years or so that I upgrade.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    I've been using an OCZ Modstream 520 to power a 7800GTX SLI rig for almost a year with no power problems. The good thing is that 7900's dont suck all the power that the 7800's do...so when I upgrade to 2 GT's in a couple weeks my PSU is gonna thank me bigtime.
    edited April 2006
    I'll take a look at the other PSU's you all of you have suggested here. I've thought about going the buy one thing a month route. However, the money is going to have to be spent, whether all at once or bit by bit.
  • edited April 2006
    Yeah, you will end up spending the bucks, but it doesn't hurt as bad when you spend it spread out over a few months. ;) I have a good paying job and it's hard for me to cough up $1000 for a mass upgrade. I generally upgrade a part or 2 at a time and I also look for deals in the DD&TP here and the classified section at the Overclockers.com forums. I also look at eBay, but you need to be careful there to keep from getting ripped off. You can run across some really good deals occasionally if you are patient and check around. I got my PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510AG psu from mmonnin here for a hell of a good price several months ago..
    edited April 2006
    :( My processor is fast enough, I really do not need an upgrade for it. It's the stupid video card, AGP. So, in order to get a newer faster video card, I need to literally upgrade the entire computer, i.e motherboard and CPU.

It would be nice if I could only spend $400 to $500 on a new video card vs. spending nearly $1000 on a new setup. I've looked at the 7800GS for around $300, but it doesn't cut the mustard. However, for affordability I may go this route. $1K is a heck of a lot of money, all at once or spread out over time.