Quick question on my OCZ Memory....

KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Well most of my new rig will rock up tomorrow!

But I have been gathering all the info I can - via hours in front of my monitor on overclocking and stuff.
My OCZ memory
- OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR

from what I have read its not an overclockers memory - but will do 250 no sweat. But not much more ... correct??
My first thing to do when the rig is built (since I have a DFI LanParty UT CFX3200) is put in just one stick of memory and flash to OCZ Tony's BIOS.....
because the impression I got was this type of memory appreciates Tony's efforts with the stock BIOS.

at least that what I am going to do. After my masterpiece of cable wiring into the Antec P180 :wink:

Comments

• KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited April 2006
    Well the first slight fly in the ointment is Tony's BIOS is unavailable....

The link everyone uses to xtremesystems - show that the file has been removed or is unavailable (stupid NTL)

so I guess it just me and the wound tight BIOS, DOH!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2006
    The fact that it is a 2gb package is going to limit the OC to a point no matter what sticks you will be using.
    edited April 2006
    Thanks for the reply, been reading a bit more on the A64 chips - the king is CPU Speed, since the memory is intergrated on die, its not much of a performance hit with a divider or slightly slack timings, unless your a diehard benchmarker!

I selected 2Gb as it will free up from stutter a lot of new games and its what I need.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    The ram do clock pretty good actually. About 260 or so i would guess on average.
    edited April 2006
    Thanks mackanzOCZ! - Good to hear, looking forward to seeing what they (and the machine) can do, let see if it can put my Athlon XP 2.6 (stock) to the sword !
    edited April 2006
    Ahh stock of my memory was out till may - switched to this instead at an additional £25

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Platinum Series EB-DDR CAS3

hope this is good too!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    You won't be disappointed by that kit Krazeyivan. Thats about the best on the market right now :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2006
    Yeah, it and the Mushkin Redline XP4000 are about the highest performing, reliable 1 GB sticks on the market that I know of right now. Crucial had some 1 GB Ballistix 4000, but they seem to have a real high failure rate and last I looked, Crucial didn't even offer them on their website any more.
    edited April 2006
    Thanks guys - great to know. Cannot wait till this pops through the post. Hope its tomorrow - already got my days holiday in from work...... just in case!