USB 2.0 ports to Portable HDDs

iHatePopUpsiHatePopUps Singapore
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Some friends of mine came over to my place the other day and they brought their portable HDDs to get some files from my PC. The thing is, when I connect the HDDs to my PC (one at a time) via USB, it seems that not ALL the ports are 'compatible' with the HDDs. For example, lets say I've got 4 USB ports (lets call them 1-4) and 2 HDDs. HDD 1, when plugged into USB 1, is powered but it does not appear in 'My Computer'. Only by trying 1 by 1 that I find out that USB 3 works with HDD 1. Done with data transfer, going on to HDD 2. I try HDD 2 on USB 3, but it doesn't appear in 'My Computer' again (in both cases, the USB device installer doesn't even appear in the taskbar). On changing USB ports again i realize that now USB 1 works with HDD 2.

This problem has been on for quite some time now. It's nothing serious, but it's a little annoying when you've got a new PC with around 13 USB ports in total. I'm wondering, has this got something to do with my PC or is everyone experiencing this? The PCs I use in my school have the same problem too. If it's my PC/Hardware problem, how do I fix it?

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Is your computer OEM (Dell, Compaq, etc.) or is it something you made yourself? If you put it together, there's a chance either you didn't wire up your case USB ports correctly or the default case USB port wiring is different from the pinout of the USB ports on your motherboard.

What operating system are you using? Older operating systems have trouble with USB (Win98, WinME).

What motherboard are you using (or OEM PC name and model)? Some chipsets have quirky USB (AMD 760MPX in particular).

-drasnor :fold:
  • iHatePopUpsiHatePopUps Singapore
    edited April 2006
    Hmm...it's something I cobbed up myself. OS = Windows XP SP2, i've gotta check on my motherboard model..but it's all quite recent - around 1 yr old...