new rig : x800 xl ?

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Im building a new rig for a friend. What is the best choice for a ~ middle range video card. The ATI RADEON X800 XL seems to be a good choice, for the price it seems to be very hard to beat. He will do some gaming and will want to play games like Oblivion so it must be a video card for gamers.

Do you have any other video card i should check out in the X800 XL price range ? (350 CND... so i guest like 310-320 USD)

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I presume that mean X1800, not X800. The X800 is about $100-150 depending on the flavor.
    While the X1800 isn't bleading edge, it is much beyond mid-range.
    It really depends on what games you play. The 7800GT/GS is in the same price/speed range.
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
    Go there and enter your game/resolution/settings and compare the cards.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2006
    http://search.ncix.com/displayproductdetail.php?sku=14474&vpn=100-435513&manufacture=ATI

The x800 xl is priced at 340 CND on this website...

The BFG GeForce 7800GTX is priced at 650-700CND on the same website...

Ncix gives some very good price for canada most of the time... I wonder what the hell is going on because its true that on newegg there's some x800 at 150-200 USD.

I will check it out a little more tonite and try to see more clearly. All i know is that he will not pay more than 350CND+tx for a video card so im trying to find the better video card at this price.
    edited April 2006
    I've found a SAPPHIRE PCIE RAD X1800GTO 256M VIVO BTE at 315CND on another website... I hate when they dont name each card the same way on each website, its hard to know if its really the same card so its hard to compare prices :(
    edited April 2006
    I've come to look at the price for GeForce cards.

LEADTEK PCIE GF7 PX7900GT 256M BTE 7900GT at 380CND in a canadian store.

Its a little more than the ~350 my friend is willing to pay, but damn when i look at the performance of this card its a very nice price to pay for that kind of performance... I've never been pro-GeForce before, but this card seems to prove me wrong lol

LEADTEK in the past has produce some cards that are often very very hot while running tho, dunno if its the same thing for this card.. Im gonna look for more review about it but if you have comments on this card feel free to post. ^^

EDIT : THE LEADTEK PCIE GF7 PX7900GT Extreme 256M 7900GT can be bought for 400CND ! This card seems to be even more of a winner !
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Don't buy Leadtek. Too many have posted isses with them and their service sucks and is almost non-existant!!! Buy a EVGA or PNY card instead.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    I have the ATI manufactured one (at least it doesnt give another one, got it at bestbuy. had the picture of the demon thingy holding an axe or something) and its awsome. I got it last summer in july and it runs most games nicely. CS source and hl2 run on max settings (except for when hdr is fully enabled). Its a great card for the money, but personally I would save a bit more money and go for the 7800GT. Its only like $100 US more and its a huge difference in preformance
    edited April 2006
    but personally I would save a bit more money and go for the 7800GT. Its only like $100 US more and its a huge difference in preformance

When you say 7800GT , is it the same as GTX ???

For exemple with the price list i've look for canada the Asus 7800GTX is >600CND. :nudge:

That's a lot of money for a medium budget computer :( He could go for 400CND but will never put 600 for a video card, wich is just normal since he's not an 'hardcore' gamer.
    I have the ATI manufactured one

Just to be sure, you're talking about the X1800GTO right ?

Im still very confuse but i guest the search i'll continue to make this week will put me on a card i'll know for sure that it's a good bet for the price.

Thankx for your help until now guys !
    edited April 2006
    With the help and link of mtgoat, i've find the perfect card !

It seems like GT <> GTX :p

The EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT CO 500MHZ PCI-E 256MB is priced at < 400 CND and it seems to be a very nice video card.

The list is now complete ! Thankx a lot :D