Good starter guides to programming?

SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
edited April 2006 in Internet & Media
I've been finding an interest in programming lately from taking my network scripting class, and I was wondering what would be a good programming language I should get started in? And also is there any good starter guides to these languages on the internet anywhere? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited April 2006
    no?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I understand PHP is very close to C, and is easier to learn.... so you could start with it and work your way up.
  • MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
    edited April 2006
    Most script languages seem to be object orientated languages. Easiest one to learn, and one that most start from, is Java. It's well documented and gives you a good understanding of other languages too. :).

You can find out more from Java.Sun.com

[Edit]

RWB, doesn't PHP use Pearl?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    No, not at all really. PHP is it's own stand alone and I find it to be very, very loosely typed as far as online based scripting languages go. I'm really starting to get into Ruby on Rails and AJAX though (a friend that goes here at Juniata had the pleasure of working with AJAX implementation and creation in Virginia)., and they're very easy.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    It all depends what you like to do.
    I'll guess whats free and popular is good.

Active Perl
    Borland C++ 5.5 free compiler
    More about Borland
    C++ books

Something about Web design
    http://www.web-source.net/
    http://webdesign.about.com/
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    first language i learned was c++, didnt go very far into it, but i can make simple apps, now im learning vb6, and...as easy as it is, i really dont like it. I cant wait till next year, im taking AP Computer Science, and we are learning java all year long, should be fun.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited April 2006
    If you're somebody that likes to figure things out through trial and error, VB is a good place to start. If you get good at VB, you'll know one of the most useful 'languages' out there on a professional level, have a solid grasp of object oriented programming and the different types of variables and also have a great structural foundation for learning other languages. VB is far and away the easiest language to learn.

That being said, once you use a language that follows some interpretation of the C syntax, you will never want to go back (C, C++, Java, PHP, LUA, etc). The C syntax is superior to the VB/AS/ASP/etc syntax is too many ways to count.

For this reason, I think it is best to start with BASIC. It is a good place to start, and if you learn the C syntax first you will hate the BASIC syntax to the point where you won't want to learn the language... And it's a shame to be a programmer these days and not be well-versed in VB.

Once you've taught yourself VB, it's pretty easy to teach yourself C++. I've found that open source projects make great learning tools, and as you learn you might even be able to contribute, which is always fun. That's how I learned C++... I picked up the eMule source code and poked around, having NEVER coded in C++. Before long I was contributing major code pieces to the project, and now millions of people are running my code at any given time. It's a great feeling of accomplishment... Open source rules. :D It's all about getting involved in something that interests you, setting goals for yourself and then working towards those. I learn quickly, and the way I do it is to come up with some idea that I just think would be really cool and then I set about figuring out how to implement it. Before you know it, 10 years have passed and you're a so-called expert.

Have fun. :)
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    Maybe you will find something interesting in this link,
    New and Cool Web Tools
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    The reason I suggested PHP is becuase it's simple and it gets you used to OOP if you get advanced enough with it ;)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Esso wrote:
    Maybe you will find something interesting in this link,
    New and Cool Web Tools

That link is a dit dated, but it'll get you the basics.