Notebook screw is SCREWED!!!

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I have a single screw cuasing me trouble opening up my notebook, it is STRIPPED TO HELL. I've tried filing down some screw drivers of mine to fit better but it is STUCK in there which is probably why it's now stripped really badly. It wasn't too bad until I tried taking it out but it seemed a bit stripped before hand. In fact it's tearing up my screw drivers pretty bad too... so it's a tough little bitch.

Any ideas on how to take it out? It's in a hole and in the middle of the panel as well so the panel will break if I tug on it.

Comments

• EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    I'll guess that you could try using a drilling machine and a small drill 2-2.5 mm.
    Drill in the center of the screw very slowly and don't drill so deep.

If you had one anti clock wise drill then it might open up while drilling.

Then use an tool which you can insert into the hole, and try to open the screw with it.
    Maybe use an hammer to get it into the metal.

If everything fails.
    You can try drilling the top off the screw away, using larger drills.
    Check the diameter with the other screws from your PC.
    Take you time and do it gently, so you don't destroy anything.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    All of Esso's advice is worth trying. :)
    Esso wrote:
    ...If you had one anti clock wise drill then it might open up while drilling...
    Over here they call them screw extractors; they can be found at most hardware stores. What is the diameter of the screw head?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    like maybe 1mm dunno really.... really really small.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    If you have a dremel type of tool you could use the smallest bit you have and try to drill it out. I'd check a schematic and get some idea of what's under it, though.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    the CPU.... but yeah I had the idea of drilling already, I'll try it out tomorrow. I know the card is PCI-E so I wanna find out if I can eventually upgrade it ;) If so I might try selling off my desktop system and just sticking with the laptop since I dont use the desktop anymore :D