Where to get the Mobile GFX?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Where can you buy the mobile graphics cards for laptops and such? I dont see them listed at newegg...

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Mobil Graphic Cards are no easy to come by... As I have never seen them in retail for regular consumers...
  • edited April 2006
    Sledge is right, as usual. The only people who make graphics cards for your laptop are the ODM that actually made your lappie. The vid subsection of a laptop is purpose-built to each ODM's specs for each individual model. There is no such thing as a standard size vid card for laptops (or any other part either, like the mobo and case, etc), which is why doing any upgrade besides hard drive and maybe a processor speed upgrade is damn near impossible with laptops.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Exactly - except for the RAM and HDD and possibly CPU, there are no hopes of upgrading a notebook. Anyone who want a notebook with a good graphics card will have to buy it that way up front. :(
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    hrm the guys at powernotebooks.com says it's possible to upgrade the graphics for this laptop, but that it needs to be asus certified or something... but for the time being the only card that is certified for this lappy is the one I already ahve :(
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I hate to say it but 99% of all Lappy graphic cards are not upgradeable, unless you bought a uber high end ;laptop that has a PCI-E slot for the card such as the 6800 series and 7800 series. But the upgrade path is very small. As a 7800Go can't fit into a 6800Go Lappy as it is a bit bigger in size.

With laptops you have to sacrifice. They are not top of the line games no matter which model you have. But they will play games as long as there GC is alive. I give the 6 series Go cards another 3 years and 7 series another 4 before they become so slow it hurts :)
  • edited April 2006
    RWB wrote:
    hrm the guys at powernotebooks.com says it's possible to upgrade the graphics for this laptop, but that it needs to be asus certified or something... but for the time being the only card that is certified for this lappy is the one I already ahve :(

If they say so, then you will most probably have to go through them to get any upgraded video as the ODM (original design manufacturer) has to make the video subsystem or have it specially manufactured by someone else for them to fit your laptop.