External Portable Hard Drives

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
External Portable Hard Drives.

The last few weeks I have been hunting down an External HD solution for a few of my clients that was relatively inexpensive and easy to use. I was looking for a USB powered small External HD that could easily fit in a pocket or be carried in a hand without much notice. So I did a ton research and I think I have found a perfect solution for around $70.00 - $90.00.

As I hunted the normal PC hardware sites I started to find that a small form factor case was hard to find, or one that fit the needs I had to meet. But after a few hours I found a perfect case at www.Newegg.com this case was $9.99 and was a perfect fit, as it is very small and slim and could easily be carried anywhere without issue.

SABRENT SBT-EKU25 External Enclosure

This bad boy is able to hold any ATA 2.5” drive you can find, and it is pretty stable, I wouldn’t recommend dropping it to often but for $9.99 you can’t go wrong. But this item fit my needs and even meets a few needs I didn’t need but were perks. I know little lights are not to of line or a bling bling item, but this case has a nice led light that blinks red when being accessed and green when idle. I think it is a good thing to have. And for Sabrent to have it included for $10.00 item I can’t complain.

Now that I have found the case, I now need a Hard Drive. These days you can find hard drives all over the net for all sorts of prices. In this certain hunt I was looking for a hard drive that was around 80Gigs. Well I seem to always stumble on www.Newegg.com at the right times as I was able to pick up a Western Digital ATA 80GB HD for just under $56.00 in one of there 6 hour sales. I know this item isn’t the price I quote above now, but this HD runs so quite. I mean I thought it was broken it was so quite, and I have yet to feel any heat off the case from the hard drive even after accessing it for a few hours. I would have to say I would be willing to pay full price for the hard drive any day.

Western Digital Scorpio 80GB 2.5" ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive

So I had 3 clients that wanted 4 of these types of external systems for there personal and work use, so I ordered all the parts from Newegg at the sale price’s and received everything the next day. I opened the package’s with ease and assembled the 15 External setups “I charged enough to make cash and build me a few  “. It took maybe about 25 minutes total and I just connected each one to the USB 2.0 ports and did some Drive management and had these things rolling in no time.

So for under $90 you can make yourself a nice external hard drive, the cost in savings is huge and you get so much more. As I checked online for 80GB small form factor solutions I was looking at $189.00-$200.00+ dollars. I cut the cost over ½ the amount. Also my new solution was smaller than any other setup I could find. If you need an external solution go this route it is cheaper and better.

Comments

• GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2006
    I've been thinking about getting an external portable HD for a while now... I could not decide if i was going to buy a 3.5 or a 2.5IN harddrive as i dont know a lot about 2.5 notebook HD and their reliability.

At this price tho im gonna go on for sure ! Small, low priced and stable, im in :D

Im gonna take a look this week to see if i can get those pieces from a canadian store.

Good job Sledge :headbange
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have 2 similar externals... my case was aluminum and the drives were 40GB but I've had mine for almost a year. At the time, I couldn't find a cheap drive.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have one of those Sabrent enclosures. It's a bit minimalist, but it does the job. I went one step further, because I purchased a 7200 RPM drive I upgraded the notebook's 4200 RPM drive to the faster drive, and used the old 4200RPM drive in the enclosure. I'm writing an article about it (almost done) which you can read on the front page soon. ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Good thinking, I now have 2 of these External HD's and thus far have no complaints. & my clients seem to love them...