*sigh* not a happy camper atm.

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Got my 2 new EVGA 7900GT's yesterday and installed them out of the box just to see what my preformance gain would be over 2 7800GTX's stock.

Well, first problem was that I didnt get any screen up at all. Switched to the bottom card's DVI and finally did get a screen to show. Booted into windows and then the rebooting started.

So, I popped in one of my 7800GTX's and it booted into windows fine. Next I re-installed then uninstalled the graphics drivers again, then reinstalled one of the 7900GT's. Got into windows and started to installed the drivers when...lockup half way through driver install.

Well, a half driver install always manages to make things worse, so then I couldn't even get into windows via safe mode without an auto reboot.

SOOOOOOOO Next thing I did was a repair install on windows after taking out the 7900 and putting in a 7800. Windows is now giving me a BSOD conserning mininv4.dsp or something of that nature (at work atm and cant remember.).

I know one of the 7900's is bad. It gives me the 4 beeps of death when I have it in and connected. The only other question I have is WTF? Never ever had this kind of mess happen when installing a vid card.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    did you plug your monitor in the top left or the bottom left side? when running SLI you have to connect to the opposite side. This seems to be a common issue with SLI and some people just don't know.

What Mobo do you have? and what nvidia drivers did you use? your problem is you didn't do enough trouble shooting and now you really mess the comp up.

I have seen this issue over 50 times in my builds.. also make sure in your bios it is set for SLI "dual card"
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    What PSU do you have? A pair of cards like that is really going to be sucking down the current.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    did you plug your monitor in the top left or the bottom left side? when running SLI you have to connect to the opposite side. This seems to be a common issue with SLI and some people just don't know.

What Mobo do you have? and what nvidia drivers did you use? your problem is you didn't do enough trouble shooting and now you really mess the comp up.

I have seen this issue over 50 times in my builds.. also make sure in your bios it is set for SLI "dual card"

ASUS A8N Premium boards auto detect SLI, so there's no bios setting other then the default "Auto" under SLI.

I had already upgraded to the newest Nvidia driver (84) just the other day in prep for this install, so technically that shouldn't be an issue either. Everything worked fine on the 7800's up until the reinstall of the Nvidia driver didn't finish on the 7900's. Computer even recognized them when I had one plugged in the secondary PCIE slot.

I went as far as resetting everything in the BIOS to default (except for the RAM timings) just to make sure something wasn't turned off that should have been on, but still no Joy.

I do know that one is DOA. 4 beeps at POST = dead vid.

Power isn't an issue either as I'm running an OCZ modstream 520. It's been powering 2 7800GTX's for almost a year, and they draw much more power then 2 7900GT's.

Worse case scenario I guess is that I have to do a total re-install of XPpro and use 1 card till I get the RMA back. Thank god my games are on another HDD.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    If I'm reading it properly, the system boots fine with one of the new cards but hangs when you use the other one by itself. Is that right?
    jradmin wrote:
    ...Worse case scenario I guess is that I have to do a total re-install of XPpro and use 1 card till I get the RMA back. Thank god my games are on another HDD.
    In case you didn't know, a Repair Install will save you from having to reconfigure everything. Sorry if you already knew that, but from the way you mentioned having your games on the other drives I thought maybe you were considering a (totally unnecessary) format. :)
  • edited April 2006
    Prof, he said he already did a repair install with a 7800 installed and now it BSOD's after the repair install.
    jrdamin wrote:
    SOOOOOOOO Next thing I did was a repair install on windows after taking out the 7900 and putting in a 7800. Windows is now giving me a BSOD conserning mininv4.dsp or something of that nature (at work atm and cant remember.).
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, right now its total BSOD city with any vid card in.

Gonna just do an entire reinstall of windows on the primary drive and pray to god that atleast lets me run 1 7900 for now.