Can't fully admin SMC8013WG-CCR

I have contacted comcast about this and they are unable to help me they keep telling me to contact the manufacturer. I do not have a wireless card inside it.

The only options I have are

System
LAN
NAT
Firewall
Status

I thought when I logged in as cusadmin I should be getting

System
LAN
Wireless (not there becuase there is no card)
NAT
Firewall
Tools
Status

which should include things like VPN, MAC address filtering, etc...

I tried to telnet into the things with the username and password and it tells me wrong username and password but I can login with through the webpanel.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I'm wondering if the "-CCR" means it's specifically designed with Comcast in mind. Thus making the WG stand for Wired Gateway perhaps. My thinking is maybe Comcast doesn't want small-business customers providing wireless access to bistros down the street. That is, until like me, they're attempting a hack for some other problem and stumble across the encryption feature. "What the heck is WEP 64? No way! Say, I wonder if being open to anybody within range of me is why it seems so slow at times." Or perhaps Comcast figures if somebody like me really wants to do something for the cause (which I do) then they'll just need to put a little more effort into it.

Actually at home I happen to have a surge-damaged 11 mbps hub I was thinking of adding to the office staff's playground equipment. Protected from DoS attacks. But still contending with the latest incarnations of profilewatcher, etc. And every now and then I do a system restore from a playground PC's recovery partition. Let's see now, we have a '98 era laptop with a display ruined by '98 era overheating problems. Frankensteined to a combination 17" CRT and skiff anchor. Plus there's an NT 4.0 Workstation era Pentium II tower, complete with a dysfunctional CD-ROM drive.

The way I see it's all basically garbage anyhow. And this way the Internet gaming and on-line dating stays mainly in the breakroom. But folks can still indulge in at least some of that sort of thing at the office. Hopefully making the workplace a little funner. But easier to maintain the integrity of the inner fire wall.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    President,
    <O:p</O:p
    Yea that’s what cusadmin should get you. In my experience when firmware is corrupt, it isn’t that selective. Someone deleted “tools” for a reason.
    But you’re also right that some ISP’s disable things for their own reasons….the same way cell phone providers disable Bluetooth networking of cell phones so you have to transmit stuff through their system. This sounds like another Comcast thing.
    I think Comcast has earned their reputation for two things:
    1. wanting to control things
    2. Just frigg’n awful tech support…awful.
    As for Grateful2……………………………………………………..................………..WTF? :confused: