Options

LCD ghosting question

edited April 2006 in Hardware
In reviews on newegg some say there is no ghosting and some say there are. What will it depend on if there is any or not?

I also found this in bestbuy. I have $83 store credit. Says 4ms response time
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7692222&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01010&id=1138083976018

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    There is still ghosting on every LCD, the question is wether you can see it or not. I have one of the better LCDs the Viewsonic VP930 and I can still clearly see the ghosting but you get used to it. The only times that it is severe is when bold colours are mixed with greys (this seems to be true for all LCDs). A good way to test is to open MS Paint and make the whole screen grey, draw a red box on it, use the selection tool then drag that red box (or blue) around the grey background, you'll see SEVERE ghosting.

It's not very apparent in first person shooters (can be at time, especially with dark greys, no idea why response time is slower with grey), but it is very apparent in games that use bold colours and not many of them, for instance Worms Armageddon.

Anyone that tells you LCDs don't ghost anymore is blind. It's like lossy music, some people find 96kbit encoding find (high response time) but others have considerably better ears (eyes) and can notice it considerably more.

They also blatantly lie. The 4ms monitors are more around 15-30ms response time and the scale increases linearly as the response time gets worse. Toms Hardware did a review of a lot of LCDs and actually tested the response time of the LCDs themselves just to see what they truely were.